Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51   #1

Reef Points for Single-Line Reefing

Hi all,

I would like to set up my Catalina 22 for single line reefing from the cockpit.

I tried out a reef by tieing down the clew and the tack and leaving the other reef points loose. With the loose foot, the sail blew out like a parachute and was very hard to control.

The single line reefing schemes I have seen only appear only to attach the tack and the clew. How do they aviod havng the sails loose foot act like a parachute? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Cohen
mrc06405J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc06405J View Post
Hi all,

I would like to set up my Catalina 22 for single line reefing from the cockpit.

I tried out a reef by tieing down the clew and the tack and leaving the other reef points loose. With the loose foot, the sail blew out like a parachute and was very hard to control.

The single line reefing schemes I have seen only appear only to attach the tack and the clew. How do they aviod havng the sails loose foot act like a parachute? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Cohen
The leech reef point (your new clew) has to be pulled down AND BACK. That will tension the foot. The reef points are simply cosmetic. Do not put any tension on them as you will tear the sail.

I properly reefed main will be flatter not fuller.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01   #3

back and down...

Yes, the block used to pull down and back for the clew should be roughly 45 degrees to the clew cringle when it is down. This stretches the foot of the reefed sail flattening it.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Reef Points

In addition to following what Jackdale and Cheechako have already stated (and there advise is the critical part), you can tie in the other reef points in the "new" sail foot. However, do not tie them down to the boom, only tie them to "tidy up" and "bundle" the excess sail cloth to prevent it from catching the wind. This is more important with a second reef as there is more "excess sail". Remember to untie these points prior to shaking out the reef.
Good luck,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I had single line reefing for a while on a previous boat and had a difficult time getting the foot as taught as it should be. The problem was all the friction involved in using one line to pull down both the the clew and tack. I ended up converting to a double line system with separate lines led to the cockpit for each the clews and tacks which was much smoother to operate and allowed each to be adjusted independently.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46   #6

Hi,

I am thinking that it is better to have separate lines for the clew and the tack. I will run the Tack line back to the cocpit. I think I can handle the clew line from the cockpit the way it is.

To set a reef, can you luff the main while sailing on the Jib or do you have to motor up into the wind?

Thanks,

MikeC
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50   #7

Boat: Cascade
I have singline reefing on my boat and find I am still geting up out of the cockpit to fiddle. Generaly I reef prior to strong wind, at the dock or anchor and just shake it out if I dont need it. Can't always do that but it does cut down of running around. Loossly gather the excess saill in the ties.... or else rrrrrrip.
Old 09-10-2009, 16:31   #8

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
I tried single line reefing on my 23'er, but it had too much friction, to haul down the clew tightly, as well.

On my 30'er, I set up double line reefing, to the cockpit, similar to the harken site. Works great! Even have it on the 2nd reef point (2 more lines). Don't have to leave the cockpit, and the lines pull nice and tight - low friction.
Usually heave to for a minute or two - all I need to pull in a reef. Shaking them out is just as easy.
Installed triple spinlock clutches on boths sides of cabin top, in order to run these lines back, as well as one jib halyard, and mainsail halyard.
Very happy with the clutches. Had to move my winches astern (to where the cleats were) in order to mount the clutches ahead,(where the winches were before).
Worked out very well!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 16:37   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Readjust so that the clew block pulls more aft.

We have separate tack / clew lines and never get out of the cockpit either.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 17:53   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Hi, ...

To set a reef, can you luff the main while sailing on the Jib or do you have to motor up into the wind?

Thanks,

MikeC
If you are quick, you can just round up and slacken the mainsheet. Heaving to also usually works well. Go out and play to see how sheeted in you need the headsail (backwinded) to allow the main to completely luff.

I think you'll be happy with two separate lines. If you attached the back one to the boom and then up threw the clew and back to a block on the boom, it will give you an advantage over just tying the line to the clew and down through the block. Placing the blocks on a track allows you to move them to the sweet spots in case you guessed incorrectly.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 21:00   #11

Hi,

Thank you for your help. So here is the plan (as I see it) to be able to shorten sail from the cockpit while single handing.

Rigging the boat:
- Run the line for the reef point at the tack back into the cockpit.
- Run the main Halyard back to the cockpit
- Leave the reefing line for the clew the way it is.
- Keep the reefing lines set up whenever I go out. That is, they are attached to the boom and through the reef points in the tack and clew.

How to shorten sail while under way -
- Come off the wind a little and try to furl in the jib. If necessary go on a broad reach to depower the jib and then furl the jib.
- Come back onto the wind. Let out the main, lash the helm, and let down the halyard.
- Pull on the line to reef in the clew.
- Tighten the main halyard
- Pull on the line to reef in the tack. This should pull the tack out and down
- Tension the boom vang to flatten the sail.
- Sheet in the main.

As all this is going on, I need to make sure I am making way under the jib. Alternately, I could come about and heave to and then luff the main to shorten it.

Does this sound reasonable? If so, all I need to do now is practice it.

Thanks again,

Mike Cohen
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45   #12

single line reefs work a whole lot better with an internal running block inside the boom. The Tack comes down to a stopper and then the block starts to run until the clew is hauled in....much less friction than a continuous single line.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Hi,

How to shorten sail while under way -
- Come off the wind a little and try to furl in the jib. If necessary go on a broad reach to depower the jib and then furl the jib.
- Come back onto the wind. Let out the main, lash the helm, and let down the halyard.
- Pull on the line to reef in the clew.
- Tighten the main halyard
- Pull on the line to reef in the tack. This should pull the tack out and down
- Tension the boom vang to flatten the sail.
- Sheet in the main.

Mike Cohen

I think you should reef the tack and tighten the halyard prior to bringing in the clew since doing it your way may just pull the slugs from the mainsail.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21   #14

Thanks,

That is what I meant to say reef in the Tack first.

MikeC