Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25   #16

Re: Recommend Me a Headsail Furler.

Pro Furl

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Keep in mind that the worst of these still will last for decades, and few people have even used a furler of even the majority of the brands. Personal experience simply can't count for much. Which is why for this type of gear I rely heavily on Practical Sailer reviews and company reputation.

I would probably swear you towards the Harken Cruiser furler as a budget buy. But I have just anecdotal experience with it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:48   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Run away from the Facnor, is just a piece of crap, and its funny because we are Facnor dealer, we install, replace or repair dozens each year, almost all in warranty.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:15   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Add "Superfurl" to the list:
Hank On or Furling Head Sails - Page 7 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:22   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go for either Facnor or Harken. Too many odd adventures with Profurl in my book.

We have a Plastimo and it is very old and very good. I know they make big units too. They are less expensive than the big players. Look them up, maybe they will be good for you too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:28   #21

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
hey guys. the old furler that came with my boat is shot so it's time for a replacement.this furler will be going on my 1970 hinckley 38. much as I like the harken MKIV it's just not in my budget so the units I'm looking at are:

harken ESP furler: fairly new on the market from what I understand. I like harken quality but I'm a little wary of a "budget" furler, even from harken.

Facnor LX-165: never used them personally but my understanding is that they're very good quality.

profurl C-350: again, never used them personally but I'm told they're good quality. though not quite at the same par as the facnor and harken, price point is attractive however. the green annodizing is like nails on the chalkboard to me..

the harken and the facnor are within $100 of each other in price, which the profurl is several hundred dollars cheaper. any thoughts on these guys.
Alado Nautica USAhttp://www.aladous.com/
[SIZE=size=]Welcome to Alado Nautica USA![/SIZE]
[SIZE=size=]Home of the Lifetime Roller Furling Systems[/SIZE]
[SIZE=size=]All Aluminum - Designed for Offshore Sailing[/SIZE]

Alado Nautica USA would like to welcome and introduce you to our internationally recognized Headsail Reefing and Roller Furling Systems. For more than two decades, Alado Nautica USA has manufactured the highest quality reefing and furling headsail systems available. Our standards of excellence are known around the world, with customers in Mexico, Sweden, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Turkey, Chile, Japan, Argentina, Brazil, New Zealand and the USA. Our systems are ruggedly engineered and manufactured to handle the toughest of tests, whether on lake, ocean or sea. All our products carry a Lifetime Warranty. Yet, our simplicity of design makes them the easiest to install, in addition to being maintenance FREE. Read what our customers have to say.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I also was going to say look at Alado. They are reasonably priced, can be installed by oneself, use bushings instead of bearings, simple design, and no need to worry about halyard wrap.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47   #23

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

Profurl after 25 years and 17 years of full time cruising we had not had one issue. It's a Profurl basic model. If I were to do it again I would go Profurl. Recently helped a friend with a buggered Facnor. Not for me. I will service the Profurl and replace bearings when we get to NZ. But not seeing any signs of failure now just time to replace them

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 02-04-2016, 13:19   #24

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

Reefurl, which we have installed on our last 2 boats, is available in the States I believe. No parts to jam, simple to install and the current one still going strong after 12 years full on cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-04-2016, 13:25   #25

Boat: Lagoon 450

I can't provide you with a comparison but I can give you some first hand experience on good service. Last December while in South Africa my Facnor LS200 (2yrs old; continuous use, under warranty) became stiff to turn and we took it apart to discover that the circlip coating had removed and the clip beginning to rust. When I called Facnor France they knew of the issue and instead of sending me replacement circlips they sent a complete new furler on the basis that they had redesigned the LS200 that eliminated this issue. Non cost, shipping gratis, sans hassle. Customer service. French to boot! They got my vote.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:43   #26

Profurl.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 13:49   #27

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I can't say enough about Shaefer. I've had them om my staysail and headsail for 18 years. Their customer service is outstanding even after 18 years. The system is rugged and reliable. This is a company that stands buy their products and their customers!
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 14:37   #28

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

thanks a lot for the info guys, I'm leaning toward the profurl, good qulity at a good price sounds good to me. much as I'd like a harken MKIV I just can't financially swing it right now.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 14:44   #29

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Harken... helps with resale as well... everyone knows about Harken
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 14:47   #30

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco lombardi View Post
#1 Harken mark series. #2 Furlex. ALL others are "lesser technology". Profurl use sealed ball bearings, made from high carbon steel(rust prone), Schaefer use stainless cup pressed into aluminum housing(corrosion prone). Harken and Furlex both use torlon balls in a hardcoat anodized aluminum housing(no issues), and most important, both have an independant tack swivel.This allows for much better sail shape, and deeper reefing. Save your dough and get the good stuff... Based on 15 plus years working as a sailboat rigger.
noted, not sure why I didn't look at the selden furlex before. I like that for the same price as the harken or facnor the selden includes a newstay wire. allows me to knock out 2 birds with one stone.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, head, men, sail