Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 17:47   #1
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re-Sheathing Backstays

The protective vinyl tubing that covers my wire running backstays is cracked and falling off the rigging. Does anyone know where I might source a replacement cover, ideally something with an opening slit up one side so I don't have to cut the wire to get it on.
__________________

__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:51   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

I'd replace the runners with Dyneema or other low stretch line. Wouldn't be that much money and no more problems with the wire abraiding everything it touches.

I put a slit plastic material on my rigging on my old boat. It only took a couple of years for it to succumb to UV and begin breaking up. It wasn't super flexible so wonder if that product would even be suitable for runners.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:51   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

they used to be common in about 6 ft lengths in marine stores.....?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:57   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 70
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd replace the runners with Dyneema or other low stretch line. Wouldn't be that much money and no more problems with the wire abraiding everything it touches.

I put a slit plastic material on my rigging on my old boat. It only took a couple of years for it to succumb to UV and begin breaking up. It wasn't super flexible so wonder if that product would even be suitable for runners.
+1 plus 5 char
__________________

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:26   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,155
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

The split plastic cable covers are made by Davis: Marine and Boating Products by Davis
They are cheap and last a couple of years in the sun. I used to sell a lot of them but demand seems to have dropped off and we discontinued them.
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 00:29   #6
Registered User
 
Nemo55's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Punta Banda, Ensenada. and Canada
Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Posts: 728
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

This stuff is great,,i have used it over the years on lots of hard duty tools.
The web site: Industrial Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Plastic Coatings, Protective Foam Coatings
__________________
"The Truth Shall set you Free....But First it will Piss You Off"

http://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:34   #7
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,530
Images: 14
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

I question if we should be using the platic covering for rigging. April Lass came with the stuff all over the rigging but when I replaced the rigging last year the rigger suggested leaving the stainless steel wire bare.

The problem is water runs down the rigging and attracts dirt which accumulates maintaining a damp environment. Certainly the swages were corroded from a decade of being covered up in a damp environment and covered in a thick layer of dirt.

We have therefore taken his advice and saved a few $$$ by leaving the rigging bare including the spreader ends.

Weather running rigging wire needs the plastic covering is therefore debatable.

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42   #8
Registered User
 
Nemo55's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Punta Banda, Ensenada. and Canada
Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Posts: 728
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

Good Point....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I question if we should be using the platic covering for rigging. April Lass came with the stuff all over the rigging but when I replaced the rigging last year the rigger suggested leaving the stainless steel wire bare.

The problem is water runs down the rigging and attracts dirt which accumulates maintaining a damp environment. Certainly the swages were corroded from a decade of being covered up in a damp environment and covered in a thick layer of dirt.

We have therefore taken his advice and saved a few $$$ by leaving the rigging bare including the spreader ends.

Weather running rigging wire needs the plastic covering is therefore debatable.

Pete
__________________
"The Truth Shall set you Free....But First it will Piss You Off"

http://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11   #9
********* Emeritus
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,235
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd replace the runners with Dyneema or other low stretch line. Wouldn't be that much money and no more problems with the wire abraiding everything it touches.
Our runners are mostly wire, but the last few feet is line, which can be used for tensioning (and releasing tension when we want to remove a runner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I question if we should be using the platic covering for rigging. April Lass came with the stuff all over the rigging but when I replaced the rigging last year the rigger suggested leaving the stainless steel wire bare.
We use regulator protector sleeves for the bottoms of our side stays where people often graze them... These are VERY easy to put on and remove, and can be easily lifted to clean the stays (albeit when we remember!). We don't buy from SCUBA shops, though, I think we get it from the electrical section of hardware shops, cos they do black, and longer lengths, and it's cheaper! Amazon.com: Hose Cover Protector Spiral Wrap 50" for Scuba Dive Regulator Gauge: Sports & Outdoors

Ah, found it here: http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/Products/00070001
__________________

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28   #10
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The split plastic cable covers are made by Davis: Marine and Boating Products by Davis
They are cheap and last a couple of years in the sun. I used to sell a lot of them but demand seems to have dropped off and we discontinued them.
HopCar Thanks for the on point response to my question, exactly what I am looking for.
__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,766
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

I have used they split davis sleeves on lifelines and such, but I would not reccomend them for use on something that moves a lot...runners. What others have said about dynema is a far better solution, it's cheap and easy to splice too.
IMHO though when the vinyl coating gives up the 7X19 wire isn't too far behind.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 13:23   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the OP is NOT looking to replace anything with Dynema. Seems whenever anyone whats to replace any sort of wire rgging - standing or running. There always seems to be a small vocal crowd spouting how great Dynema is. Somebody gets 10 minutes with it on a race boat and everyone must use it for everything. I'm fairly sure that most cruisers are just going to do whats proven and cheaper. No way around it - wire lasts way longer. The OPs wire most likly has 5 or 10 more years of good use. Mr. average cruiser is more concerned with ice cube production then low weight, no stretch, line. Wire works, why reinvent the wheel? It may be the greatest stuff ever, but until I'm one of the few without it, I'll pass.
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 13:48   #13
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re: Re-Sheathing Backstays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the OP is NOT looking to replace anything with Dynema. Seems whenever anyone whats to replace any sort of wire rgging - standing or running. There always seems to be a small vocal crowd spouting how great Dynema is. Somebody gets 10 minutes with it on a race boat and everyone must use it for everything. I'm fairly sure that most cruisers are just going to do whats proven and cheaper. No way around it - wire lasts way longer. The OPs wire most likly has 5 or 10 more years of good use. Mr. average cruiser is more concerned with ice cube production then low weight, no stretch, line. Wire works, why reinvent the wheel? It may be the greatest stuff ever, but until I'm one of the few without it, I'll pass.
Thanks for say'in what needed to be said Rabid, as the runners on this boat were never used I have no desire to spend the several hundred dollars to replace them, will just re-sheath and drive on.
__________________

__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backstays

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PNW - Skookum 53 Re-Fit billr Meets & Greets 147 30-01-2017 23:17
Re: POI LIBRARY sinbad7 OpenCPN 1 01-05-2012 14:53
Re-galvanising Spade noelex 77 Anchoring & Mooring 5 30-03-2012 23:26
Lewmar 48 Re-assembly Rex Delay Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 7 27-03-2012 19:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.