Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 23:38   #1

Boat: Hudson 44 Center Cockpit Ketch
Re-rigging a ketch to a sloop/cutter rig

Hello all,

I have a traditional ketch that i want to convert to a Sloop Cutter.
The boat is a Mariner 40 with a traditional full keel.

Reasons,
After logging about 20,000 miles i find that i seldom use the mizen sail.
Mizen sail often blocks the wind to the main or jib on many points of wind, especially any points down wind.
Mizen boom is directly in the way of the helm, no standing room unless i am standing in the cockpit sole. Takes up a lot of room in the cockpit area.
More work trimming and reefing sails.
More things to break, complicated split main back stay, etc.
The theory that a ketch rig is easier to sail is not justified, my experience proves that it is more complicated to sail and less efficient.

Questions;

Is there a calculation or formula on how far back i need to move the main mast?
Do i need to adgust the ballast?

I know this will cause a flurry of opinions and questions why i want to do this, but open to all
Isla Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 00:13   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Re-rigging a ketch to a sloop/cutter rig

If you have been successfully sailing her without the mizzen, seems that you could simply remove the mizzen mast and leave the main as is. Moving the main mast further aft would be a major job, involving moving the step and partners (if keel stepped) or the step and the compression post if deck stepped. Then you would have to relocate the chain plates for the caps and lowers (and intermediates if fitted) and likely the shrouds as well.

Hell of a job... IMO making major rig changes is never a practical thing to do. Better to change boats than to spend big bucks changing the present boat (with the possibility that the change would be for the worse), and facing the lower resale value that would likely result.

A fair number of production boats have been offered as either ketch or sloop rig. In many cases, the mainmast location was identical, and the boat still worked ok. IIRC some Pearsons were thus offered, likely others beyond my recall.

Jim
Old 17-09-2017, 00:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you have been successfully sailing her without the mizzen, seems that you could simply remove the mizzen mast and leave the main as is. Moving the main mast further aft would be a major job, involving moving the step and partners (if keel stepped) or the step and the compression post if deck stepped. Then you would have to relocate the chain plates for the caps and lowers (and intermediates if fitted) and likely the shrouds as well.

Hell of a job... IMO making major rig changes is never a practical thing to do. Better to change boats than to spend big bucks changing the present boat (with the possibility that the change would be for the worse), and facing the lower resale value that would likely result.

A fair number of production boats have been offered as either ketch or sloop rig. In many cases, the mainmast location was identical, and the boat still worked ok. IIRC some Pearsons were thus offered, likely others beyond my recall.

Jim

Yeah im debatig on just selling her. Need to move up to a larger boat anyway
Lots of sentimental value, took her on my first ocean crossing
Old 19-09-2017, 20:29   #4

Re-rigging a ketch to a sloop/cutter rig

Option: Remove mizzenmast boom. Keep mizzenmast stick in situ for radar , reflector, antennae farm, wind gen etc. also easier to sell if reassembly as a ketch is easy. Store the unused parts !!!
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Option: Remove mizzenmast boom. Keep mizzenmast stick in situ for radar , reflector, antennae farm, wind gen etc. also easier to sell if reassembly as a ketch is easy. Store the unused parts !!!
Good idea!
Old 19-09-2017, 23:27   #6

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Lateral thinking is rare. Hope you go into politics.
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:06   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with my ketch , after having sailed sloops all my life, i find i donot use main sail unless i have decent crew with half a brain. my main remains on mainboom and mizzen adds a 1.5 knot advantage. main only provides .5 kt without mizzen.
my genoa is my driving and primary steering sail. main is useless and mizzen is drive assist and stability, some steering. my main doesnot help steer. with mizzen and genoia i am perfectly balanced and donot need constant hands on steering
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, ketch, rigging, sloop