Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 13:54   #1

Re-rig Staysail

I am looking for some information regarding rigging of a staysail. I have a cutter with a fairly small furled loose footed staysail. I rely on it mostly to combat weather helm when I sail with my smaller backup jib. My back up jib, sometimes referred to as a Yankee jib, is much smaller than the jenny. The Yankee jib combined with the main sail does not balance as well as I would like. Flying the staysail with the Yankee balances the boat better. I don't have this problem when I fly the jenny and the main.

The issue is the staysail takes up a lot of deck space with the boom, sheet tackle and deck blocks. I would like to free this area up for my dink when not trailing it behind. I have seen smaller boats with self tending jibs that actually use the outhaul as the sheet. They have a short curved deck track that is designed such that the sail is self tending, and the sail does not change shape as the boat as it swings off the wind. If I could do this it would clean things up a bit and open up some deck space. I may lose some efficiency but willing to try it to get more space and less clutter. I have not seen much info on this.

Has anybody seen such a design or have any info?

Thank You
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail