Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 12:27   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Raising Storm Jib

yes, I didn't mean to say it was the ideal solution (and I didn't mean to hijack the thread). Just that "blood and tears is the only result" is probably just a function of not knowing how to handle the sail, and that it does have it's place in certain situations and certain boats.

So, Lockie, it seems you have 3 choices. Just use your furler alone, install a second forestay, or use a wire luff storm sail.

I vote for just using your furler and try to stay away from hurricanes
Old 19-06-2011, 13:28   #17

I didnt think you were saying that. :>) IF it's to be done well on a 28 footer. I think maybe a SOlent stay is the way to go. Any stay supported by a halyard is not that stable. (halyard can "roll" back and forth over the sheave when the boat pitches and the mast moves etc) An attached stay with a release lever is rigid and as a bonus adds more mast support...right when you might need it. JMHO
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:06   #18

I meant to write 'you need a stay' not 'halyard'. You cannot reasonably hoist a free-flying sail in storm conditions. You need some kind of stay hoisted first, then the sail.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:52   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Plus, they have other uses
It's just a matter of figuring it out...
That is a wonderful link you found, susinctly shows the parts of sheet to tiller self-steering system, shows how it works and shows the variations as wind strength and point of sail change, and shows it all working on a high performance deep fin racer.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:59   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I didnt think you were saying that. :>) IF it's to be done well on a 28 footer. I think maybe a SOlent stay is the way to go. Any stay supported by a halyard is not that stable. (halyard can "roll" back and forth over the sheave when the boat pitches and the mast moves etc) An attached stay with a release lever is rigid and as a bonus adds more mast support...right when you might need it. JMHO
Also a removable stay puts have the compression load on the mast that a halyard does.

If you set it up as a removable forestay (half-way between the spreader and truck or at the second spread if it's a double spreader rig) instead of a solent stay (to the masthead or very near) the extra rigging (intermediate shrouds and running backs) will provide more AND redundant support for the mast, always a nice thing in really heavy weather.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, jib, storm jib