So the loose factory conduit clanging around inside my mast
finally drove me to do something about it. I did some research
online and found this great diagram attached to this post. Seemed simple enough, so with a few tweaks for my slightly larger mast
I decided to give it a go.
-I used 2 12' 2x6s for each leg and secured the foot of each leg by drilling 2 holes near each foot and then firmly tying 8mm line through the holes and to the toe rail.
-We lifted the a-frame using the jib halyard
-The rear supporting lines were led back from the legs through a block and onto the jib
sheet winches. This allowed for good adjustment of front to back positioning of the a frame as well as tensioning.
-The front support line was run through a racheting pulley on the anchor
cleat, also to allow for easy adjustment and tensioning.
-The working end of the lifting line was rigged through a 3:1 system using a gri-gri (self locking lowering device used in rock climbing)
The process was quite easy once everything was thought out and setup. I was intimidated, but now having done it, I would highly recommended it if you are considering it.
Video clip here: http://highexposures.com/mastraise3.mov
Oh ya, for the new conduit I went the route
of riveting PVC to the interior
of the mast. It was pretty simple once I saw how it was done: 2 holes are drilled at the same height on the mast (so on its side, they are above and below each other). One hole is used to insert a hook made from metal wire which pulls the PVC tight so you can drill it then rivet it. Plug
the blank hole with a rivet.