Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2014, 06:16   #1

Questions About my Stanchions

Getting close to making new Dyneema lifelines, but my stanchions are a mismatched mess and I was hoping to fix them before cut up some expensive line...

This is an early 60s Pearson Triton. A number of the stanchions are bent in weird angles. I have a feeling this might be stock, because it's on both sides, and I've seen it on other boats, although I'm not sure why.

4 of the bases are bronze and appear to be in very good condition. The forward ones are stainless replacements and are also in nice shape.

The tubes and tops are a mix of crappy and ok.

I think the most cost effective solution would be to pull all the tubes and replace them with new straight tubes and end caps.

Here's the problem though: on at least one of the bronze stanchions, the stainless tube seems to be glued (?!?) into the bronze stanchion base. There is no set screw that I can see, and it looks like a very tight fit at the joint between the two. It feels solidly in there.

Were these ever glued in? I'm not sure how to get it out. I can pull the stanchion base if I have to, and heat it with a propane torch to hopefully get it out. I'm just confused as to how it's in there and if that will do it.

My other question: Is there some reason that the stanchions are so bent that I'm not getting? They end up occluding the side decks significantly. I'd like to replace them with straight stanchions. The only issue I can see is if you were lying against a sea wall or rafted up with a much larger boat.

My other other question: I'm planning on putting another stanchion between the side stays so it's not such a long run between the mid stanchion and the forward one, and I can thread the lifeline between the stays without chafing on them. Any issues with that?

And if I'm replacing all the tubes...should I up them from 24" to 30"?

Thanks
Paul

Here's the bentest one:

And here's an album of the rest of them:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eejqjuaxw...qRfNdmfXQQYOma
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Questions about my stanchions

To my knowledge no builder glues stanchions in place. They get bent to easily and need frequent replacement. Removing a glue in place on really depends on what glue was used. If it's just something like gorilla glue you may get away with a chemical solvent. For something like epoxy you need heat. I would try just a pipe wrench and moderate pressure first and see what happens.

The reason they are bent is because of decades of people pulling on them. It doesn't look to be original.

Adding an extra stanchion forward of the shrouds may make it more difficult to tack the headsail. I probably wouldn't. But I doubt it will be a huge deal either way.

Yes go to 30" instead. 24 is legal, but it's always at exactly the right height to trip people.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 13:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Surely it was silver soldered or brazed or similar, not glued?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 05:49   #4

I'm not sure what's going on with them. The joint at the top is very tight and there is no play at all. I tried a pipe wrench on one of them and it didn't budge in any way.

I'm going to pull one of them off on my next trip to the boat and see if heat will do it. I'd really like to reuse them if I can.

I guess if they are silver soldered in, propane will be good enough to pop them out.
Old 30-07-2014, 07:09   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Getting close to making new Dyneema lifelines, but my stanchions are a mismatched mess and I was hoping to fix them before cut up some expensive line...

This is an early 60s Pearson Triton. A number of the stanchions are bent in weird angles. I have a feeling this might be stock, because it's on both sides, and I've seen it on other boats, although I'm not sure why.

4 of the bases are bronze and appear to be in very good condition. The forward ones are stainless replacements and are also in nice shape.

The tubes and tops are a mix of crappy and ok.

I think the most cost effective solution would be to pull all the tubes and replace them with new straight tubes and end caps.

Here's the problem though: on at least one of the bronze stanchions, the stainless tube seems to be glued (?!?) into the bronze stanchion base. There is no set screw that I can see, and it looks like a very tight fit at the joint between the two. It feels solidly in there.

Were these ever glued in? I'm not sure how to get it out. I can pull the stanchion base if I have to, and heat it with a propane torch to hopefully get it out. I'm just confused as to how it's in there and if that will do it.

My other question: Is there some reason that the stanchions are so bent that I'm not getting? They end up occluding the side decks significantly. I'd like to replace them with straight stanchions. The only issue I can see is if you were lying against a sea wall or rafted up with a much larger boat.

My other other question: I'm planning on putting another stanchion between the side stays so it's not such a long run between the mid stanchion and the forward one, and I can thread the lifeline between the stays without chafing on them. Any issues with that?

And if I'm replacing all the tubes...should I up them from 24" to 30"?

Thanks
Paul
Ah, the joys of messing around in boats! Go for one job but there are 3 that you must do before...

The stanchions are bent because people tend to fend off the boat by using them, hence they usually bent inwards or fore and aft.
They are stuck due to oxidation, some kind of corrosion/dissimilar metals, etc. Either heat or a couple of shots of PB Blaster will break it off.

Since you are at it, remove all the stanchions, either by themselves or with the base - polish them (with Spotless Stainless) and straighten them up. Now is the time.

As for an extra stanchion, I am also going to add one on my boat - it will keep the line off the shrouds to prevent chafing on them. No issue by threading the line between the shrouds and the shorter run between stanchions will be safer.
If you have to replace them, go for 30 inches (I did too) but then there are two things to consider: you will need to double the lines and there will be an angle as the line will go "down" to 24" rails fore and aft. Also, with double lifelines, you have only one (the top) attachment point on the rails.
Consider how you will guard the line (chafe protection) as it goes thru the stanchions.
You can find used stanchions in the classifieds if you are not in a hurry...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 13:39   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

My vote is also on a reaction due to dissimilar metals.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:34   #7

Alright I'm going to pull one off tomorrow and see if I can heat it loose.

The weird part is one of them doesn't seem to have any set screw or other means of fixing the tubing. The other three have set screws. As usual on my boat nothing matches anything else...
Old 31-07-2014, 14:59   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No doubt previous DIY owners have made some modifications.

If the bases and fasteners are not leaking, and are sturdily mounted, why not leave it alone, except to straighten the bends, in place, wherever possible? If you really really want the extra height, then you might have to remove those bases from the deck, in order to properly deal with the stuck stanchions--especially if you need to apply heat because they've been epoxied in. Though it's worth a try, in place. If you are determined to remove them, I would try "unscrewing" one from its base, using a pipe wrench, until you learn the assembly method. They're probably just a little corroded. Use AeroKroil and heat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

On our bigger boat I had a few stanchions with pretty sever cracks. No obvious reason why, they showed no signs of being bent and straightened.

Anyway I made my own stanchions out of tubing. And I put a bit of smaller tube ins upside to reinforce them. And I lengthened them a bit. They are now kinda tall but the Admiral smiles.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47   #10

I realized that if I have any hope of this boat getting in the water I'm going to have to leave this till next year. Wasting the spectra but I need to finish up. Thanks for all your thoughts. Next year will be the stanchion year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
I realized that if I have any hope of this boat getting in the water I'm going to have to leave this till next year. Wasting the spectra but I need to finish up. Thanks for all your thoughts. Next year will be the stanchion year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Attaboy!!!

Save the probable headache and wallet unfolding for something more critical that is sure to appear... Splash and enjoy.... Nobody cares what your stanchions look like more than you do...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote