Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 23:52   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33T
question - tang strength vs. chainplate and shroud strength

I am trying to get myself ready to replace standing rigging, and reading Brian Toss's complete riggers apprentice, which by the way seems to be excellent. Brian states and it seems to be common based on general observation, that when determining the strength of the components of a shroud, chainplate, turnbuckle, toggle, wire, toggle, then mast tang, that the tang can generally be required to handle HALF the working load of the shroud itself, while the turnbuckle and chainplate need to be able to handle more than the working load limit of the shroud. Am I missing something here? whatever the load is that comes onto the shroud will place equal loads on each end of the shroud. In short why can the tang be of lesser strength than the chainplate - or of the working load limit of the shroud?

I would like someone to help explain what seems to be inconsistent to me - although like I said at the beginning, just looking around the docks, tangs seem to be very flimsy compared to what is on the other end of the shroud.

Thanks,
Steve
SanJuan24Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 05:19   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: question - tang strength vs. chainplate and shroud strength

Puzzles me too. BTW there is a forum on Mr. Toss' site. When Ive used it on the past, he and other very knowledgeable pros have responded. If you do post there, please post link here.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 06:01   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: question - tang strength vs. chainplate and shroud strength

An interesting question.

If you get the answer, PLS repost here. I would like to know too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud