Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2009, 11:50   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Quality Galvanised and Stainless Rigging Wire

Hello all,

In light of the cost of Dynex Dux rigging being out of my budget (about $3400), I'm returning to metals and trying to decide which route to go. I currently have 9/32" stainless (dunno if it's 304 or 316) all over my W32, but it's time for replacing.

I've just spent an hour reading through old posts on this and a couple other boards concerning SS vs. galvanized for rigging. I've worked aboard a few tallships as mate and seen how well galvanized lasts when served, and am willing to go this route. However, there have been many comments about how tough it is to find quality 7x7 or 1x19 galvanized, and I have no idea where to look. Does anyone know of a source for this good wire? If it is available, how should I size it?

Next, if I am able to find it, what is the best way to terminate the ends? Splice, or is there a mechanical fitting available (such as Sta-lok or Hi-Mod)? I would like to retain my 1/2" bronze turnbuckles, if possible!

Lastly, if I can't find good galvanized wire, I'll just stick with SS. The original W32 rig was specified as 9/32" 304 stainless. Starbright and Dynaform 316 being weaker, do I have to increase my wire size? I believe I can increase to 5/16" and, using Hi-Mod fittings, still use my tangs and turnbuckles with 1/2" clevis pins. I specify Starbright and Dynaform as, I believe those are the only consistent-quality stainless wires available?

I don't mind reading to find the information for myself, but I have not been able to find these answers in the books I've read (including Toss' and Smith's), or on the net.

Thanks for your time!
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:59   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
I am not going to get into the argument about what wire to use or not to use I know that one will go on for days lol. I will say galvanized will effect the resale value on the negative side. That may not be an issue now but could become one in 5-8 years you never know. Also I would recommend pulling the chain plates while you are at it to check them for corrosion, they may look just fine on the surface you can see but the backs could be badly pitted. Best to be on the safe side.

Good luck
Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:12   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Wayne,

Thanks for the comment. I'm replacing all of my chainplates and tangs with bronze from Port Townsend Foundary. I have four visible cracks radiating from square carriage holes in my chainplates, so there is no getting around that one.

As for resale value, that is a valid point. However, I feel that most people looking at Westsails would be open to my explanation for choosing galvanized wire and serving, so perhaps that wouldn't be a big deal. All depends on the person! Great point though!

Thanks,
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging