Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 17:16   #1

Boat: 2011 FP Orana 44 M
Quality Flags?

Admittedly I bought cheap flags and they haven't lasted two months. Does anyone have a source for quality flags? Small to super big?

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 20:26   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Quality Flags?

Seaborn Flags in San Pedro, CA
seabornflags@att.net
(310) 519-1208

Tayana42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:36   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

These people are in my neighborhood, but they sell a darn fine flag. I have had mine for 8 years, flying non-stop. It has held up well on my home. They also sell country and a host of other specialty flags.
https://www.flags-unlimited.com/
Old 06-04-2019, 06:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Prestige Flag makes the excellent CF burgees.
Buy Golf & Yacht Flags - Prestige Flag

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53   #5

on one of the websites listed, it shows different "size" flags...for the know nothing newbie, which size flags are preferred?

0 = FLAGS 1' X 1.25', PENNANTS 2/3' X 2', SUBSTITUTES 2/3' X 1-1/3'

2 = FLAGS 1.5' X 2', PENNANTS 1-1/3' X 3', SUBSTITUTES 1' X 2'

3 = FLAGS 2' X 2', PENNANTS 1-1/3' X 3', SUBSTITUTES 1-1/3' X 2-1/3'

7 = FLAGS 3' X 3', PENNANTS 2' X 4.50', SUBSTITUTES 2' X 4'

10 = FLAGS 4' X 4', PENNANTS 2-2/3' X 6', SUBSTITUTES 2-2/3' X 5-1/3'

Thanks
Keith
Paca1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:01   #6

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Neither of the sources listed so far offer courtesy flags, if that's what you're after.

If it's a fairly large (3' X 5' or bigger) US Flag, the "High Wind" Polyester flags last a really long time. They're heavier, so don't "fly" in light wind as well as the thinner nylon, but the last a long time and don't fade nearly as fast. I fly my US flag any time I'm aboard, and we're liveaboards - I get at least a year from each one. The "Annin" brand is the best, IMHO. (Amazon carries them, too)

For long-lasting courtesy flags, I don't know if they exist - all I ever see are the thin nylon ones that fade & fray quickly. I'd love to have a better Bahamas courtesy flag, but all we've ever found are the cheapies (and they ain't cheap out in the islands!).

Hartley
S/V Atsa

p.s. Keith, most courtesy flags are 12" X 18" - mostly because that's the default "small flag" size, I think. For a US Ensign, the "Flag Handbook" says about 1" on the luff (vertical part) for every foot of overall boat length - this is a VERY flexible number
HG
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05   #7

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

In the US I have found flags manufactured by Anin to be good. Defender is one place to get them. I have yet to find similar quality flags in Europe.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paca1953 View Post
on one of the websites listed, it shows different "size" flags...for the know nothing newbie, which size flags are preferred?

RYA recommendation:
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...etiquette.aspx

The best advice is "what looks right" but a rough guide is:
Ensign

The general guideline for the size of Ensign used to be an inch per foot of yacht, but on many modern yachts this is found to be a little on the small side for the vessel to look "well dressed". Roughly speaking a 3/4 yard Ensign should look right on a boat of 21-26 ft, 1 yard for 27- 34 ft, 1 1/4 yard for 35 - 42 ft, 1 1/2 yard for 43 - 50 ft and 1 3/4 yard for 51 - 60 ft, but some discretion may need to be applied.
Burgee

A burgee of 15" in the fly (the horizontal measurement) should look appropriate on vessels up to 34ft. This increases to 18" for up to 42ft, 24" for up to 50ft and 30" up to 60 ft.
Courtesy Flag

Having an undersized, faded or tatty courtesy flag in many places is worse than having no courtesy flag. Again as a guide only, 12" in the fly should look appropriate for 21-26 ft, 15" for 27- 34 ft, 18" for 35 - 42 ft, 22" for 43 - 50 ft and 30" for 51 - 60 ft. Availability may however end up dictating the size of the flag.

US Power Squadron
Flag and Etiquette Committee

The national ensign flown at a flag staff at the stern of your boat should be one inch on the fly for each foot of overall length.
All other flags such as club burgees, officer flags, and private signals for use on sailboats should be approximately 1/2 inch on the fly for each foot above the waterline of the tallest mast on the boat. (That is, if the tope of the mast is 30 feet above the waterline, these other flags should be 15 inches on the fly.) On powerboats, these flags should be 5/8 inch on the fly for each foot of overall length.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:20   #9

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I buy my flags in Amsterdam at andriesdejong.nl, the shop exists since 1787!
This is the best quality : Country flags, silkscreen printed flags, made from strong, woven like wool, spunpolyester buntin
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:25   #10

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

One more note for those venturing offshore or who are interested in nautical flags - the "Reeds Maritime Flag Handbook" published by Adlard Coles is a wonderful resource! It's small (5" X 7" X 1/2") but a really useful compendium of nautical flag usage - it also has most of the worldwide courtesy flags illustrated (and courtesy flags are not always the same as the National flag!). I got mine on Amazon, but I'm sure the larger nautical chandleries and booksellers would have them.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55   #11

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Make it yourself, they only take an hour or so of work . My home made flags outlast store bought flags many times over. Use ripstop nylon or any heavier fabric, triple stitch the perimeter and #2 spur grommets through the binding tape. The only flags I purchase are those that have complex designs. Such as my native USA flag.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 20:37   #12

Boat: Westsail 32

I get my ensigns from The Flag Store in Canada, https://www.theflagstore.ca/ They last for about ten months, flying day and night. They're polyester printed ensigns because sewn ensigns only last about two months because of wind friction on the sewn seams; polyester because nylon is sunlight degradable. The Flag Store supplies good quality polyester printed flags, other flag stores tend to supply flags made in the Far East and made to the wrong dimensions ( Fly is 1.5 X hoist, when it should be 2 X hoist....).

Prices on the website are in Canadian dollars, so count on a "discount" of 25% to US dollars.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 21:25   #13

Angry Re: Quality Flags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
These people are in my neighborhood, but they sell a darn fine flag. I have had mine for 8 years, flying non-stop. It has held up well on my home. They also sell country and a host of other specialty flags.
https://www.flags-unlimited.com/
That prominent collection of pirate flags puts me off. I don't know what in hell they think those things mean....
Old 06-04-2019, 21:45   #14

yacht flags.com. I purchased a 21 country eastern caribbean set for $100. quite a good deal and very good quality. ships from Sweden for $15.
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 21:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paca1953 View Post

0 = FLAGS 1' X 1.25', PENNANTS 2/3' X 2', SUBSTITUTES 2/3' X 1-1/3'

2 = FLAGS 1.5' X 2', PENNANTS 1-1/3' X 3', SUBSTITUTES 1' X 2'

3 = FLAGS 2' X 2', PENNANTS 1-1/3' X 3', SUBSTITUTES 1-1/3' X 2-1/3'

7 = FLAGS 3' X 3', PENNANTS 2' X 4.50', SUBSTITUTES 2' X 4'

10 = FLAGS 4' X 4', PENNANTS 2-2/3' X 6', SUBSTITUTES 2-2/3' X 5-1/3'

Thanks
Keith
This listing looks like it's of "signal code flags", which are flown from the port spreader in combinations of one, two or three flags, and each combination means something. To know what each combination means, you would need a 'Code of Signals book". In the old days sailing ships communicated by use of these signal code flags.

Which size flags are preferred?? For these signal code flags, the biggest ones you can carry are preferred, and that's exactly what this table says.

But signal code flags are outdated. No one carries them any more, except for dressing ship, and neither should you. Don't concern yourself about this table.

Country ensigns and courtesy ensigns etc. are something else, and very relevant. There's some good information about the size of each in posts in this thread. Pay attention to them.

Tags
flags