Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 23:51   #1

Boat: Viking 30
Pull Pull Steering Issue

The other day I got caught with too much sail up. As I worked the helm (prior to reefing) against the tendency to round up, I felt the wheel slip with a solid "thunk". This happened a couple of times and I'm trying to imagine what is going on inside the pedestal to create such a disturbing action. This is a chain and wire rope pull pull system. It felt like I broke a tooth on the gear but that seems unlikely because when I previously inspected the gear and chain I was surprised at how heavy duty it all seemed to be.
Any suggestions on what to look for?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 01:22   #2

Re: Pull Pull Steering Issue

Maybe a grub screw or lock nut on a gear or pulley has loosened and allowed the pulley/gear to slip around the shaft. These can be held by a key, a grub screw onto a flat surface or just a grub screw tightened onto the shaft or nut tightened onto the pulley/gear. For the first two, you might need to tighten the screw/nut and that might solve it. for a screw or nut that is simply tightened onto a shaft then you might need to do a little work. Grind a flat face on the shaft for the screw to engage onto. For a nut onto a face, mmm.

Loctite can help all cases

The thud might have been a wire riding up onto the side of a pulley and then slipping back. Things are wearing a little and they don't line up perfectly. Check for play in bushes. A rebush is possible, but not a simple task. The system will probably work OK for quite a while before a repait is critical.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 03:08   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Have you checked to see if your wheel is still in correct alignment with the rudder? IE: Is the king spoke still vertical when the rudder is truly centered? As I can't help but to wonder if perhaps the quadrant might have slipped a bit on the rudder shaft. It's worth checking anyway.

And not to give you nightmares, but when was the last time your rudder had a good inspection? It's possible that the inner blade structure could have moved in relation to the rudder's shell, also.

That, & as long as you're going over (inspecting things), make sure that the sheaves are bolted down tightly to their mountings.
If one, or both are a touch loose, that too could account for some play, or slippage in the steering system, that you could feel through the wheel.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 05:10   #4

Boat: Viking 30

Thank you both. I plan on replacing the wires over winter. It looks as though the whole pedestal will need to be removed to achieve that, so a full top to bottom inspection and service can be conducted at the same time. My boat is 30ft and doesn't have a steering quadrant below deck but rather has flexible conduits exit from below the pedestal and aft to a quadrant, easy access style under the helmsman's seat, all of which looks good and I suspect a slipping grub screw will prove to be the culprit. (Hopefully) thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering