Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 15:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Problem with Harken 44

My 2001 boat has two Harken 32 winches on the cabintop and two Harken 44 winches outside the cockpit for the jib sheets; I believe these are original equipment. I decided it was time for winch maintenance and this looked like DYI (I have never done this type of maintenance before).

The H32 winches went fine, no issues. The port H44 went fine, though with more internal parts it took more care and thought. The starboard H44 seemed to go OK until I buttoned it up and attempted to turn it -- naw, that winch was not going to turn.

Open up the problem H44 again. Everything seems in place and OK. With the centre stem removed, all the gears on the bottom turn properly. The central spindle everything turns OK.

After fiddling with things for a while, I determine that if I snug down the bolts holding centre stem on, then the winch is seized. If I merely screw in the bolts until they seat (no torque on them), then the winch functions. So something is binding when the bolts are snugged, but I can't tell where. Help!

BTW, it doesn't look like the winches were serviced anytime recently. Some of the grease had turned into solids. I cleaned all the parts as best I could, though in the summer I will service the winches again and likely soak all parts to get all the old crud out.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Re: Problem with Harken 44

I have Harken 44 for my halard winches and serviced them in Nov last year with no problems. I suspect that when you put it back together that you got one of the gears at the bottom upside down. This would mean that the pawls are working in the opposite direction to what they should be. You need to be so careful to note the original orientation so that you get things back to the same configuration when you reassemble.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32   #3

Thanks, SM, but I don't believe that is the problem. With the bolts just seated I can use the winch handle and the winch works correctly. Perhaps I have a washer in the wrong place, so with some torque something is being compressed that shouldn't be.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:45   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Dr D,

You will find all the details of an exploded view of the Harken 44 on the Harken.com website. Make sure you choose the version prior 2004.

If one of yours is no longer working i have a H44.2 ST for sale since i changed one of mine to a new electric ver. Don't know where you live but mine is in London.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

I have just serviced 4 Harkens on my boat, including two 44's. The only thing I can think of immediately, is to make sure the washer is on the bottom of the "side" gears, the other washer (larger interior bore) on the top of the centre gears. Also make sure you haven't got the black gizmo with the 3 screws at the top upside down. There is a good video for all this on YouTube.
PeaceLoveMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are a couple of parts in several models of Harken winches that slide together by hand 2 different ways, but the winch only works with them properly in position. Harken has great customer support, so get in touch with them. Preferably while on the boat, via cell (or 2 cells), so that they can walk you through things live.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:17   #7

Thanks, all. I don't need a new winch (yet), so a call to Harken is next.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:25   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Thanks, all. I don't need a new winch (yet), so a call to Harken is next.
The advantage of having two or more of something, is that you can take a known good and known bad on apart, a single piece at a time, until you find the difference.

Always be careful taking things apart being sure lay them in the exact orientation they came off, to ensure you get them back together the same way.

Always helps too take lots of photos as one goes too.

PS, never operate a winch with loose spindle screws under load.
They will eventually work their way out, damage components and in the end blow apart. Sounds like a cannon and the winch drum on the sheet flys like a cannon ball.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 16:45   #9

Harken recommendation: Torque the screws and reassemble. Wack with a plastic hammer. Gosh, hit the damn thing with a hammer to fix it, why didn't I think of that......

Tags
Harken