Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 17:21   #16

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'
Re: Price differences in stainless wire rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Try Rigging Only. Rerigged Bluestocking with them. great service and prices.
I second that. Been using Rigging Only for years and will continue to do so.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 23:15   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

The best quality 316 rigging wire is made in Korea - not the US and not China. Ask a few riggers.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 23:59   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

www.RiggingOnly.com (www.RiggingAndHardware.com their online store), & other suppliers of repute, will have a certificate to go with each spool of wire which they sell. It gives a real measure of the physical properties of the wire. Much like a Proof Certificated does for a batch of chain.
Read the section of this page, in the upper left hand corner, entitled "Buying Wire". Rigging Only's 1x19 stainless wire is type 316 for standing rigging and can be used with swage fittings and mechanical wire terminals
It, the whole page, as well as their site/catalog, is educational.

As a bit of "self help", you'd perhaps be wise to do some studying on the physical aspects of rigging, it's components, as well as the "how's & why's" behind rigging.
Don't be shy about calling various rig shops with questions, or especially paying them visits live. The latter being the best way to absorb knowledge from them, other than learning the trade yourself.

Avoid being a pest (if you stop by); but they'll get it if you truly want to learn. As they know that perspective customers who have good experiences with them, even if you/said customer doesn't buy from them (this time). That it's likely that you'll refer other's in need of rigging their way.
I've been doing as much with my favorite rig shop for 25yrs, even though they've not seen my face for half that long.

Also, Brion Toss, a rigger of some note, has a new edition of his book The Rigger's Apprentice slated to be released soon. Not that his other (current) one isn't chock full of good information. That & there are some bits of wisdom on his website, & the forums there - www.BrionToss.com
I'd Definitely suggest picking up a copy (new, old, both, & or several of his works). It's $ fairly well spent in order to make more educated purchasing, & rigging decisions.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Koss Wire is made in Korea I believe it is considered the Premier product. 316 has a little less strength than 304

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:13   #20

Boat: 1972 VENTURE-22
Lightbulb Re: Price differences in stainless wire rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post
Hello again forum,

I'm looking at replacing my 1x19 316 stainless rigging and have noticed a huge price differences in stainless wire rope. For example, the size I'm looking at is 7/32" and there are websites aplenty with prices in the sub $1.50 range, Defender has it for $1.69, yet West Marine has it for an unbelievable $3.20. Any ideas on these differences?
I have found a difference in price when you add the word "Marine". I go to an industrial rope and cable company that is industrial and OCHa approved. They make up any of my cable needs to code and at areasonable price. The one I go to also sells parts, sheeves, blocks, fittings safety harnesses and equipment used by construction,stage hands and aircraft needs.
I live in Las Vegas,good luck
Ahoogha 3 times is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, price, rope