Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 21:42   #1

Possible to replace standing rigging alone?

Would it be feasible to replace standing rigging by yourself? Im trying to decide on whether it would be worth it to just hire somebody or try it myself.
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 23:07   #2

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Possible to replace standing rigging alone?

I'm not sure if you mean alone, with the mast standing? Since I have to take the mast down every winter when the boat goes on the hard and lift it again in the spring there would be no problem to replace the rigging at the same time. I'd still use a pro to manufacture the shrouds and stays. Still, I need at least one person extra to operate the mast crane.
With the mast up I would not try to take off the forestay with profile alone. I'm sure it can be done, but just see it as risky. If you have access to a mast crane, then no problem.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 23:07   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It would help if you tell us what sort of boat you have. (You may like to update that information along with your location in your profile.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 23:13   #4

I re-rigged our old boat by myself. The boat was on the hardstand, which did simplify it. I temporarily replace the forestay with a halyard while the replacement was made.

The boat had twin backstays, so I could simply take one of them, and I also took one each of every other shroud, (but not all from the same side.) had replacements made and just swapped it all out one at a time. The furler was the biggest hassle, the foil was in one single length, I was worried it would bend, but it didn't.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 00:30   #5

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I rebuilt the standing rigging on an old O'Day 21 years ago. Was able to unstep the mast myself at the dock (It wasn't pretty). Had a professional rebuild the forestay and taught me how to do it myself. Was then kind enough to let me rebuild the aft stay and shrouds myself using his equipment. Cost of re-rigging to boat value ratio? Cost more than I paid for the boat. Value of knowledge and experience gained with the guidance of a professional? Well worth it. It cost more than if I had attempted it myself, but less than having all the standing rigging done by someone else...along with gaining a comfort factor with the rigging once installed, which I may not have had after doing it myself. Tuning the rigging afterwards...well that was another learning curve.....
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Im doing it next week while in the water. One stay at a time. I'm going to the dock to do the forestay due to furler.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:00   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I replaced all mine just myself on a 33'er including a new furler alongside with mast up. Just one at a time with halyard or 2 to provide support.

That's with mast steps all the way though, without them I might have asked for some mechanical help.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:03   #8

Boat: Cornado 25

Short answer... Yes.

Longer answer... If you need to ask the question, you would probably be better off to hire a rigger this time. Have a buddy haul you up the stick some windy afternoon, and you will have a much better insight as to your options and inclinations.

Nice view though Attached photo is me taking the Pedro Miguel "elevator" for an easy trip at the old Pedro Miguel Boat Club beside the Miraflores locks on the Panama canal circa 1991.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedro-miguel-elevator-sm.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	139142  
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Short answer, a tiny mistake in the tape and a new wire in the trash bin , or you can drop the old wires in the shop and ask for the exact replacement, better to have the boat docked in a calm spot free from boat wake, good weather, a single or doublé set of spreader is feasible without dropping the mast, a triple spreader mast is tricky, deck spreader mast with a doublé set of spreaders is tricky to, you better slack a bit both sides and tight the side you replace with lines , better use dyna , low stretch.... lowers and D1 OR D2 are the last ones, Caps are the first ones, forestay and backstay the last ones to,, Good luck...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32   #10

Boat: 1985 Endeavour 33

If your just talking shrouds and stays, then yes. Sta-lock or Norseman fittings. Just take your time and do one section at a time. Order the right size 1x19 stainless wire and make sure it's 316 stainless. There are many videos on YouTube on how to do it. I will be replacing mine very soon myself.
1mardiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:34   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
Would it be feasible to replace standing rigging by yourself? Im trying to decide on whether it would be worth it to just hire somebody or try it myself.
Never "try" anything yourself, that could jeopardize the integrity and reliability of the boat, or the safety of people aboard her.

You either do it, because you are confident you can do it reliably or you get someone competent to show you how or do it for you.

That you "tried" to make a reliable swage will be of little consequence to your crew when dismasted in a storm.

"Trying" is simply not good enough when something "must" be done well.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I've done this several times on different boats I have owned. It's pretty straightforward, no rocket surgery involved. If you can operate a tape measure and perform simple arithmetic you should be OK. Good wire is getting hard to find, but give the folks at Rigging Only a call and they will hook you up. I like the Hi Mod mechanical fittings rather than swages for reliability, inspectability and ultimate cost savings. Plus, if you cut your wire a little long you can always trim it down. Another good source of information on rigging is Brion Toss's "Spar Talk" forum.

Replacing the rigging while the mast is standing requires a little skill with going aloft. I have used a multi-part block and tackle, climbing ascenders and my wife on the halyard winch and all work well. Whatever method you use it is wise to use a safety line either around the mast or attached to another, parallel halyard with a prusik hitch or mechanical ascender.

By re-rigging yourself you will not only save a ton of money, but you know it will be done right and with the best materials.

Rigging Only

SparTalk - Powered by vBulletin

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:23   #13

So I don't even know if i need to replace the entire standing rigging. I'm getting a 33 Cape Dory surveyed in a few days to buy her. The owners had the rigging replaced about 5 years ago, but when I inspected it, one wire was cracked just above the norseman fitting. So i was thinking it might just be safer to plan on replacing everything.

My plan would be to take down 2 opposite shrouds at a time and take the wire into a shop so they can help me get the right length. Installing the fittings on the wires looks pretty simple. I've been looking up ways to ascend the mast alone and it looks pretty easy. I'm considering doing this job myself because it doesn't look too complicated. But maybe there is something I am overlooking?
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:34   #14

Boat: Oday 25

Yes but is it worth it? I just replaced all the standing rigging on my Oday 25 and the only part that required any real knowledge was the headstay inside the furler. I had a pro do the job completely, with a mast I had already taken down. The whole job cost about $ 1000. I could have done it myself but the furler was a bit of a problem as some of the parts are no longer available (circa 1983) and screwing something up might cost me a new furler. In any case E Rigging would have sent me all the shrouds made up to the correct lengths for under $700 (using the old turnbuckles). I chose to pay the rigger and he taught me everything about how the furler is assembled. Some jobs are better left to the pros. And at age 77, this may be my last standing rigging replacement.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:50   #15

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If you want to make life simple and you can get one hiring a 'man basket' for a day is worth it (assuming you are in dock!)
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging