Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 17:05   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bonaire
Boat: Morgan O.I 41
Posts: 3
Port lights

Need to buy new port lights for Morgan O.I 41 and like to order gray ports the same as i have now, but i see there are also angled spigot ports
Anyone experience with this item. I have now ports with straight spigot but see always standing water inside port.
__________________

__________________
Bon vibrashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:38   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guaymas, Sonora, MX
Boat: Islander 44.
Posts: 30
Images: 4
Re: Port lights

I had same problem with the port lights installed in my boat(Islander 44) - they trapped rain. I purchased new ones from MMI in Costa Mesa, CA - from Taiwan, mfgr: Mainship as I recall. Angled so no water collects. Beautiful polished Stainless steel. Very reasonably priced and they look much better than the original plastic ones I had (made by PI-Hi or something like that) I got 8, two different sizes were available that matched what I needed, so they slipped right in. mmimarine.com You can specify cabin thickness - I recommend the widest flange available. Ask for Jim. Tell him Rob sent you. I can email you some pics if you want.
__________________

__________________
Cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:43   #3
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Port lights

GREY Port Lights...????
Are they not supposed to be Red to Port.. Green to Stbd...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:49   #4
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,389
Re: Port lights

I don't know if Gray (Pompanette in FL) makes rain drain ports. Beckson does and they look almost identical. Good luck, good idea.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:34   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot
Posts: 15
Re: Port lights

Check out New Found Metals. In my opinion they make the best port lights in the business and they are better priced as well. They have them in 316 cast stainless with tempered glass or bronze or they also have them in a polymer called Tri-Matrix. Below is their link.

New Found Metals, Inc.
__________________
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 09:21   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bonaire
Boat: Morgan O.I 41
Posts: 3
Re: Port lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I don't know if Gray (Pompanette in FL) makes rain drain ports. Beckson does and they look almost identical. Good luck, good idea.
I can change to anything but like the Gray ports for the price and will last for another 10 years what is long enough for me, but not sure if i need to change to angled spigot
__________________
Bon vibrashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:13   #7
Registered User
 
CS Cruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PCYC Toronto
Boat: CS36T
Posts: 310
Images: 10
Re: Port lights

Agree, New Found Metals have awesome ports.
__________________
Paul
s/v TENACITY - CS36T
CS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:28   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: Port lights

Well... I think you answered your own question... water sitting in the portlights. Get angled ones or ones that drain.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:39   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bonaire
Boat: Morgan O.I 41
Posts: 3
Wink Re: Port lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well... I think you answered your own question... water sitting in the portlights. Get angled ones or ones that drain.
I just ordered one Grey port with angled spigot to see if it works before ordering the other 15
__________________
Bon vibrashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:14   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 250
Re: Port lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I had same problem with the port lights installed in my boat(Islander 44) - they trapped rain. I purchased new ones from MMI in Costa Mesa, CA - from Taiwan, mfgr: Mainship as I recall. Angled so no water collects. Beautiful polished Stainless steel. Very reasonably priced and they look much better than the original plastic ones I had (made by PI-Hi or something like that) I got 8, two different sizes were available that matched what I needed, so they slipped right in. mmimarine.com You can specify cabin thickness - I recommend the widest flange available. Ask for Jim. Tell him Rob sent you. I can email you some pics if you want.
Manship ports are very nicely made. They have a good selection of standard sizes or you can have them custom made to any size. I've ordered both standard and custom sizes from here:White Water Marine Hardware

And here is the link for Manship: http://www.manshipmarine.com/index.htmlhttp://www.manshipmarine.com/index.html
__________________
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:47   #11
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Port lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon vibrashon View Post
Need to buy new port lights for Morgan O.I 41 and like to order gray ports the same as i have now, but i see there are also angled spigot ports
Anyone experience with this item. I have now ports with straight spigot but see always standing water inside port.
If you care to check, Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor, Mich has a lot of this sort of stuff and for low cost.

Home Page

call, the web page sows less than 10% of the inventory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6667.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	89320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6668.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	89321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6666.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	89322  
__________________

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pearson 30 Port Lights OldSchool Monohull Sailboats 6 03-04-2014 18:11
Hylas 44 Port Lights Wirehair Sailor Monohull Sailboats 2 17-08-2012 06:35
WINDOWS OR PORT LIGHTS Duke 48 Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 02-08-2012 19:48
Cal 30 Port Lights Cal30 Monohull Sailboats 3 06-11-2010 13:52
installing port lights in the hull of an old boat? dustinp Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 12-03-2008 14:20



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.