Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2019, 12:11   #16

Re: Placing reefing blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Note, put a bowline (or splice an eye) in the end of the reefing line. Arrange the eye at the top edge of the boom on the side you want the reefing line to go up to the clew (typically the opposite side to where you’ve got the sheave or turning block). Then lead the reefing line around the boom, through the eye, then up to the clew.
I slightly prefer using a (variation of the) timber hitch around the boom. You can always untie it easily no matter the loads it’s been subjected to.

The spliced eye you of course can’t untie, so to move or remove it you may have to pull whole reef line out. The bowline is decent, can usually be easily untied but creates a bit of a lump right there. The timber is a bit less lumpy and easier to untie.

I use a variation, which I think is named but I don’t remember what - someone else here might. I wrap the line twice around the boom (standard timber is only once around), weave the tail a couple times back and forth between the two wraps, and then put a stopper (figure 8 usually) in the end.

It’s a minor point, but I have occasionally had to move reef lines at sea and this makes it easier.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:22   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Placing reefing blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Is your boom bag attached to your boom via bolt rope? If so, cutting and patching is your only choice. But if it’s attached with slides, just slot the reefing line between slides vertically below the clew it’s for.

Alas... yes.