Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 21:24   #1

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
placement of winches

Could anyone please advise on suitable placement points for winches for my little 32
I am looking at setting her up for single handed sailing, and would appreciate any input
am currently looking at fitting main winches on cabin top, and the genoa winches to the sides of the cockpit combings
What is everyones opinion of this, or better solutions would really be appreciated

Thanks in advance of the generous and intuitive responses I know will come from the friends of the sea
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 00:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sounds good. But any chance of a photo so as ones can see exactly what they are working with. Then you may get some good advice from some of our experienced members here.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 01:01   #3

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Some things to think about when placing winches:

Body Placement -- can the person cranking the winch position themselves and brace themselves well for maximum leverage?

Swing Radius -- can you swing the winch handles all the way around without banging your knuckles on anything?

A Fair Lead -- where is the line that is to be winched coming from? Make sure the angles (both horizontal and vertical) work!

Structural Support and Mounting -- winches, particularly genoa sheet winches, carry some of the largest loads of any hardware on the boat; to what are you going to mount the winch?

Good Luck,

Tim
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 16:57   #4

G'day wheels
I will get some photos to you in the next week of the deck
all help is appreciated
thanks guys
will try load the photos on the weekend
cheers
hooked
Old 29-04-2008, 19:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Body Placement -- can the person cranking the winch position themselves and brace themselves well for maximum leverage?
Tim has this one right. You need to be able to crank it and also in weather not suitable. Using one size larger than required isn't a bad idea. On a 32 ft boat I would expect 2 speed self tailing winches as well. Over size the lines so they lay in the hand well too. You can run lines to either side of the cabin top with most deck organizers. 3 per side can allow one winch per side if combined with Line clutches for the lines. That way you can winch any line led aft. Jib winches pretty much go to the rail but our boat in prior years had a singe jib winch on the cockpit table with lead blocks from either side. Makes for a line crossing on one side at any given time but cranking from the center is pretty easy. That is where our main sheet winches and it works well. we have 5 winches two on the cabin top. two on each rail and one on the cockpit table. That handles both head sails, and the main with two reefs. It does not include the out haul or topping lift but does include the boom vang.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:39   #6

so the lines either side of the cabin you are referring to on the cabin not at the side of the cabin on the deck
and how close to the deck should I set the jib winches
any chance of a pic of your set up please
I will get photos of my cockpit as soon as the combings are on to show the cockpit properly
thanks
hooked
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
so the lines either side of the cabin you are referring to on the cabin not at the side of the cabin on the deck
and how close to the deck should I set the jib winches
yes on the cabin top. The winches are either side of the companion way on the top of the cabin. That puts the winches below my shoulders but above the waist. Each cabin top is different. I can run my lines from the bottom of the mast step to a set of blocks at the bottom of the mast then run the lines to organizers and run them parallel along the cabin top. That makes 3 lines on each side of the cabin top. They run through a clutch so only one winch on each side is needed for the sets of three lines.

This is a very common setup you should be able to find at any marina. Again the configuration of your cabin top may require adjustments. Our last boat really didn't lend itself to running all the lines back.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06   #8

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Here are couple pics of my cockpit (a project in progress). I have six winches in total:

two on the cabin house (Lewmar #30 two-speed) are for halyards and control lines. You can also see the deck organizers which direct the lines from the mast collar back to the winches, and the line clutches that secure each of the lines (three on port, five on starboard).

two big ones either side of the cockpit (Lewmar #55 three-speeds) are the primary jib sheet winches

two smaller ones either side of the cockpt (Lewmar #44 three-speeds) are secondary winches, used for spinnaker sheets, running backstays, jib furler, and as backups to the primary winches

Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:12   #9

Thanks for that, this makes alot more sense
I can do a similar run with my sheets on the cabin top like yours as is quite clear
just got to adjust the cockpit combings to make a proper mount for the other winches
thanks for this
cheers
hooked