Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 20:15   #1

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Petzl Harness?

Have always used bosuns chair for ascending 72’ tall mast, but have become interested in climbing harness. Most riggers use Petzl brand, but I am interested in hearing opinions about harnesses in general, brands and models in particular.
Also, do most riggers use ascenders on a fixed line for safety or run a second safety line??
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 20:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Petzl Harness?

I have a climbing harness, not Petzl but it has great reviews. Haven't found it comfortable for long time jobs up the mast. The waste band cuts into my midsection and is downright painful after not too many minutes. I'm new to this harness so may be able to adjust it but a quick perusal didn't see how to make adjustments. Really miss the seat/harness from the Mast Climber from ATN. Tempted to buy a used Mast Climber for the seat/harness.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 20:54   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I have a climbing harness, not Petzl but it has great reviews. Haven't found it comfortable for long time jobs up the mast. The waste band cuts into my midsection and is downright painful after not too many minutes. I'm new to this harness so may be able to adjust it but a quick perusal didn't see how to make adjustments. Really miss the seat/harness from the Mast Climber from ATN. Tempted to buy a used Mast Climber for the seat/harness.
Get some foam exercise floor tiles or similar and cut strips about 4 inches wide. Duct tape these inside the leg loops. Maybe even wider on the belt. It really helps.

Most climbing harness are not designed for long hang-time, they are designed for climbing. A big wall harness is what you want.
Old 07-04-2018, 20:57   #4

My "kit" (amongst other bits and pieces) consists of a Petzl Calidris Harness and a Petzl Podium Seat (Bosuns Chair)....

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Harnesses/CALIDRIS

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professi...rnesses/PODIUM

....for a short trip (say 30min) up the mast the Harness is perfectly comfortable, longer than 30min i hook up the seat, it clips up behind you and out of the way until needed.

Yes to ascenders/descenders, using a halyard you hoist a dedicated line up to the top of the mast, i also use the topping lift as a safety line with a prusik.

Very happy with the setup.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 18:08   #5

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
My "kit" (amongst other bits and pieces) consists of a Petzl Calidris Harness and a Petzl Podium Seat (Bosuns Chair)....

....for a short trip (say 30min) up the mast the Harness is perfectly comfortable, longer than 30min i hook up the seat, it clips up behind you and out of the way until needed.

Yes to ascenders/descenders, using a halyard you hoist a dedicated line up to the top of the mast, i also use the topping lift as a safety line with a prusik.

We are going to use the same system on our boat. The exception being that we do not have purpose built harnesses right now, we are going to use our deckvests (Spinlock with harness attachment) until we get dedicated harnesses.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 18:15   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
We are going to use the same system on our boat. The exception being that we do not have purpose built harnesses right now, we are going to use our deckvests (Spinlock with harness attachment) until we get dedicated harnesses.
I am not sure what you actually mean but off the top of my head it sounds dangerous. A properly fitting climbing harness, while not exactly the most appropriate item, will at least keep you secure not matter if you slip, twist or even invert. Your deskvest will keep you afloat but I am not so sure it's appropriate to the task or the potential stresses if you "fall."
Old 17-04-2018, 18:16   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post

I've not seen those seats before. Sweet. I bet they make route setting and bolting a lot easier on the body.
Old 17-04-2018, 19:47   #8

Boat: Santana 23D, 23ft

I use a climbing harness for short duration trips up (Metolius or petzl). And a tree climbing harness for long duration work. Check out New Tribe gear. You won't be disappointed. Comfortable and safe.
Vets sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 20:04   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve used an ATN climber for years. It is basically an ascender attached to a modified bosun’s chair. This makes it very comfortable to hang and work from, and the ascenders make it easy to go up — solo if you must.

I forget what I paid for my ATN, but it wasn’t cheap. Probably could assemble the same parts with climbing gear, but I think having some sort of chair is good for longer working periods.
Old 20-04-2018, 16:41   #10

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Thanks to all for the info....very helpful. Probably buying a new tribe tree climbing harness which has models for sitting support....more comfort.
We have massive electric winches, so do not need the mast climbing gear....just wanted extra safety of harness and ascenders.
Thanks again!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 01:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I am not sure what you actually mean but off the top of my head it sounds dangerous. A properly fitting climbing harness, while not exactly the most appropriate item, will at least keep you secure not matter if you slip, twist or even invert. Your deskvest will keep you afloat but I am not so sure it's appropriate to the task or the potential stresses if you "fall."
+1

Do not under any circumstances do this. The deckvest harnesses are not made to hang from. They are extremely uncomfortable for this and the leg harnesses are rather flimsy. They are made to at most be hanging from a halyard for a couple of minutes in an emergency.

Use a proper climbing harness. I use a Petzl ordinary cheap one, and it feels very very secure and for me it is quite comfortable. I suppose there are more comfortable ones, but I am happy with mine. Comfort has never been the limiting factor for me aloft, in this harness.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 20:20   #12

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I use a Petzl Caladris, Camp Matic, one ascender with foot loops and a pulley set up as per photo.

We have a strong point at top of mast to clip to and 2 fold away steps so we can stand on them clipped to strong point while working at masthead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	more_mast_climbing_gear.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	168555  
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The deck vest has a built in harness with leg straps, why would it not work as a backup?
Old 23-04-2018, 11:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
**NO! NO! NO! DO NOT DO THIS!**

Spinlock deckvests are NOT lifting harnesses! If you lift your arms, you fall out of them! Even with the crotch straps these are NOT to be used for lifting someone above deck!

If you think this is a good idea, you should NOT be going up you mast without professional guidance.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 12:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
**NO! NO! NO! DO NOT DO THIS!**

Spinlock deckvests are NOT lifting harnesses! If you lift your arms, you fall out of them! Even with the crotch straps these are NOT to be used for lifting someone above deck!

If you think this is a good idea, you should NOT be going up you mast without professional guidance.
Where did I say I would be using them to lift someone up? The built in harness is advertised to be used in conjunction with a tether and jackline, are you saying they are not even useful for that? Getting thrown by a wave and falling 6 vertical feet should approximate the same amount of stress.