Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 12:32   #16

Re: Petzl Harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Where did I say I would be using them to lift someone up? The built in harness is advertised to be used in conjunction with a tether and jackline, are you saying they are not even useful for that? Getting thrown by a wave and falling 6 vertical feet should approximate the same amount of stress.
If you do not believe me then read the manual that came with your spinlock lifevest:

The deck safety harness and safety line are intended to prevent the user falling overboard. They do not provide protection from falls at height.

Or don't. It's your life. But don't go telling other people it's a good idea.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:17   #17

If you want to save money, just get some old info and make a harness. Back in the 70s, we mostly made our own harnesses, some of the top climbers believed for a long time after commercial ones became available, that the home made harnesses were actually safer. Which is probably true, depending on what you are measuring. The Petzl, and other harnesses are jazzed up versions of belt and leg loop combos, and you really have to neglect the wear to ever have a problem with them. Of course they have replaced the home made ones as they are so much more convenient. But you can certainly make good gear with less, in a few minutes, and if you know how to go about it, it may save your life some time.
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 16:44   #18

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you do not believe me then read the manual that came with your spinlock lifevest:

The deck safety harness and safety line are intended to prevent the user falling overboard. They do not provide protection from falls at height.

Or don't. It's your life. But don't go telling other people it's a good idea.
What do you use?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 17:47   #19

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Where did I say I would be using them to lift someone up? The built in harness is advertised to be used in conjunction with a tether and jackline, are you saying they are not even useful for that? Getting thrown by a wave and falling 6 vertical feet should approximate the same amount of stress.
Falling 6 feet vertically on a static line creates tremendous amounts of force. Enough to injure someone even in a professionally designed purpose-built climbing harness. Look up Fall Factor 2...no one wants to fall without some slack in the system.

A jackline/tether system will rarely have to deal with a vertical fall and even then the jackline has lots of give in it.