Okay, this is not my first boat, but it is the first time I've ever replaced the outhaul
on anything larger than a day sailer. Our boat had wire coming out of the end of the boom and shackled to the clew of the sail, and 1/2" double braid at the gooseneck for winching it tight. I never thought about it, but just assumed some type of rope
to wire splice internal to the boom. While replacing the mainsail
, I noticed the last foot or two of the outhaul
wire had some broken strands and decided to replace it.
I was very surprised to find a 5:1 block and tackle inside the boom. Maybe everyone else already knows this, but to me it was news.
I replaced the wire with dyneema
and the 1/2" dacron with 3/8" double braid. I was always noticing a lot of friction in the outhaul, and a lot of it was coming from the original rigger using 1/2" line in a fiddle block rated for 3/8" maximum line.
Here is a photo
of the new install (with a shiny new Harken
block) ready to go back into the boom.