Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 20:20   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Question Outhaul line jammed on mystery bolt through boom...?

We want to replace the 3 lines inside the boom before we get going. The port and starboard lines move freely (reefing lines?), but the middle line (the out haul?) is jammed. We took the aft end cap off the boom and can see a jumbled mess of knots and at least one pulley about 5 feet foward of the aft end. There is some kind of bolt/pin at this location going all the way across the inside that this mess is stuck on. We also took the gooseneck end cap off (by removing 6 pop rivets) but that didn't really help us. I tried to beat on the mystery bolt to remove it, and it moves a bit but doesn't want to slide through. There seems to be a metal rod attached to the section of bolt inside the boom. The rod runs perpendicularly about 3 feet aft of the bolt but still out of arms reach. I imagine this rod is preventing the bolt from moving any further. I can't imagine what its for though. Does anyone have any insight here?

redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 20:35   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Outhaul line jammed on mystery bolt through boom...?

Maybe the outhaul has a 2 to 1 purchase like this
Old 22-02-2016, 20:44   #3

Boat: Aloha 34

I think thats probably the case. I still cant fathom why this bolt/pin has a metal rod attached to it inside the boom on the port side. I put a wrench on the hex head of the bolt/pin and tried to twist. It rotated, but only until the rotation caused the metal rod thats attached perpendicularly to the pin/bolt to hit the top or bottom of the boom. I can hear the clanging inside when I do this.

I beat on it pretty vigorously with a hammer but something (presumably this rod) is keeping the pin from sliding out, despite being able to move it back and forth a few mm. I'm stumped...no idea what to do from here. Do i just get a bigger hammer?
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 21:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Can you get a picture inside the boom?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:00   #5

Boat: Sweden Yacht 36

Those enscope usb cameras are quite cheap nowadays. And very handy in these kind of situations. You can connect that to your smartphone, download a app and really see what is going on in there.
Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:18   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I’m a bit unclear on what your aim is, regarding your outhaul, & the bolt assembly in question?

In my experience, it’s generally easiest to start from scratch, with most outhauls, rather than it is to rebuild what I typically find inside of a boom: A rat’s nest of stiff old lines, & gummed up, sticky blocks, etc.
So if that’s what you’re thinking, I have tips on such.

Ditto if you’re wanting to remove that stainless cross bolt. For that, a half a dozen solutions come to mind. Although all of them involve maiming it beyond any further use, in order to extract it (& what may be connected to it).

And here are also a couple of (outhaul) resources which may prove useful.
Harken Outhaul System Designs
Harken Product Support; Videos, Articles, Diagrams…

PS: This just popped into my head now. But if you can borrow (or buy) a bore scope, in 5 seconds it's give you a Crystal Clear picture of what the setup in there is.
Although a powerful flashlight, & using one side of a pair of bino's might work too.

-> A Bore Scope being a Fiber Optic camera/lens, with a built in light, on the end of a fixed or flexible wand (of varying lengths).
At one point, they had them at Harbor Freight for like $40. But bino's & a flashlight may do the trick... Unless one of your dockmates already has one of said toys

EDIT: Here you go, there are heaps of them, pretty inexpensively on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...Ck%3Aborescope

Still, You're best bet/choice, will likely be to cut the bolt, & move forward.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 08:42   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I recommend heating up this pin you show running through the boom until it is as hot as can get it. Map gas or oxy acetylene. Then put the biggest wrench you can find on it and break it loose from the perpendicular rod.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:34   #8

Boat: KP 46

The bolt most likely goes through an eye on the end of the rod, and there is probably a block on the end of or sliding on the rod. The 'mess of knots and at least one pulley' is the tackle for the outhaul.

With persistence (and a bit of hyd fluid or wd-40 trickled along the bolt and soaked for a while) it should come free, then all this should come out the end of the boom. It will be worth it to remove this gear, free it up and reinstall it. You might wish to make a larger eye in the rod so it does not jam up in the future.

If it were me, after soaking it I would put a wrench on it, put some pressure on it once the rod stops against the boom, then have someone tapping on the bolt end while I increased torque, it will come free eventually.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:39   #9

It would seem to me that the internal rod would have to be threaded onto the
bolt. Don't see how it could be welded. So how about rotating the boom
90 degrees and dripping some PB Blaster down the bolt (both sides)
Let it penetrate for a bit and then trying again with a wrench to
unscrew it.
I helped a friend clean out his boom on a S2. 6.9
What a lot on junk in there from broken 2/1 purchase outhaul
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:22   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

On our Pearson 10M with internal multi-part outhaul there is a mid boom thru bolt that anchors one end of the multi part tackle. The bolt runs thru an aluminium compression tube inside the mast. To install the compression tube the manufacturer welded an extension on to the compression tube that can be reached from the end of the boom.
In the case being discussed a wooden dowel could be used to extend the extension to the compression tube, the dowel being removed once the tube is installed.
I suspect the aluminum compression tube is frozen around the stainless bolt by corrosion and will need lubrication and mechanical vibration to loosen the tube enough to remove the bolt. Heat from a torch would likely damage the lines inside the boom making their removal more difficult.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:28   #11

[QUOTE=captmikem;2053873]The bolt most likely goes through an eye on the end of the rod, and there is probably a block on the end of or sliding on the rod. The 'mess of knots and at least one pulley' is the tackle for the outhaul.

With persistence (and a bit of hyd fluid or wd-40 trickled along the bolt and soaked for a while) it should come free, then all this should come out the end of the boom. It will be worth it to remove this gear, free it up and reinstall it. You might wish to make a larger eye in the rod so it does not jam up in the future.

If it were me, after soaking it I would put a wrench on it, put some pressure on it once the rod stops against the boom, then have someone tapping on the bolt end while I increased torque, it will come free eventually.

Brucw V quote:
I would suggest you try soaking the nut and threads to the rod with penetrating oil rarher than wd 40 or the like. If you do it 2 or there times in a 4 to 6 hour period, I'm betting it will come loose
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:51   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
...I beat on it pretty vigorously with a hammer but something (presumably this rod) is keeping the pin from sliding out, despite being able to move it back and forth a few mm. I'm stumped...no idea what to do from here. Do i just get a bigger hammer?
Hire a pro.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 11:16   #13

Boat: KP 46

Brucw V quote:
I would suggest you try soaking the nut and threads to the rod with penetrating oil rarher than wd 40 or the like. If you do it 2 or there times in a 4 to 6 hour period, I'm betting it will come loos

Brucw,

If you note the photo, there is no nut and no threads, it is pinned. Penetrating oil is the best, but many folks do not have any around, hyd fluid and wd-40 are not the best, but will help.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:17   #14

Boat: Hylas 49

Worst case, get a Fein or Bosch multi tool and cut the sucker in half through the slot in the boom. Chances are the vibration will loosen it before you get very far.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:53   #15

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

My guess is there are dissimilar metals involved. I suspect what you describe as an internal rod connected to that pin is actually an aluminium track on which slides a car with turning block.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outhaul