Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 12:14   #1
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Outboard rail mount help please

Hi all,
looking for some insight into which outboard rail mount to store a 2.3 honda weighs 30lbs. Edson makes one, real nice but $$$ compared to the others out there at the under 50 dollar range. question is for those with the lesser of the two. are you happy with it? thanx in advance
eddie
__________________

__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24   #2
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Petersburg
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,469
Images: 15
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Probably not what you want to hear- but I have a 5 HP motor. I went to West Marine and looked at the few they had there but they all seemed extremely flimsy. Edson makes super quality stuff and their mount attaches to two rails so it is extremely sturdy. I bit the bullet and just opted for Edson, but haven't had a single issue with it.
__________________

__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41   #3
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Probably not what you want to hear- but I have a 5 HP motor. I went to West Marine and looked at the few they had there but they all seemed extremely flimsy. Edson makes super quality stuff and their mount attaches to two rails so it is extremely sturdy. I bit the bullet and just opted for Edson, but haven't had a single issue with it.

Not what i wanted to hear but what i expected, thanx, they all look like junk compared to edson, old adage is true, you get what you pay for but $$ sounds like they could use some competition and none out there.
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:43   #4
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Petersburg
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,469
Images: 15
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

You could always get some starboard or something and just cut your own, and then add some heavy duty hardware to attach to the rail.
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:49   #5
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
You could always get some starboard or something and just cut your own, and then add some heavy duty hardware to attach to the rail.
As poor as I am that's probably the move... but then i have to stare at it everyday and the cosmetics will get to me..
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 13:18   #6
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,156
Images: 1
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

One of these SEATEAK came on my boat. It is at least 20+ yrs old.
I have only mounted a 2HP Honda on it but it's rated for 15HP size motor.

SeaTeak Outboard Rail Mounting Bracket

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyf0rm95pf...Stern.JPG?dl=0
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 13:34   #7
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
One of these SEATEAK came on my boat. It is at least 20+ yrs old.
I have only mounted a 2HP Honda on it but it's rated for 15HP size motor.

SeaTeak Outboard Rail Mounting Bracket

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyf0rm95pf...Stern.JPG?dl=0
Seen that yesterday from defender and question for you please, does it mount on top rail and sandwich itself at a " T " junction on the rail? appreciate the help. eddie
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:03   #8
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,156
Images: 1
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Seen that yesterday from defender and question for you please, does it mount on top rail and sandwich itself at a " T " junction on the rail? appreciate the help. eddie
Mine is just on the top rail only & it is free to pivot about that rail.
I suppose to allow tilting of motor to clear the aft edge of deck.
I rarely use it but I suspect a pad of some kind should be "stuck" where it contacts hull to prevent long term chafe-maybe.

I can't imagine motor ever flipping or bouncing,unless a major sea came aboard. You may want to use a "safety rope" in case OB motor clamps come loose???

/ Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:13   #9
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Mine is just on the top rail only & it is free to pivot about that rail.
I suppose to allow tilting of motor to clear the aft edge of deck.
I rarely use it but I suspect a pad of some kind should be "stuck" where it contacts hull to prevent long term chafe-maybe.

I can't imagine motor ever flipping or bouncing,unless a major sea came aboard. You may want to use a "safety rope" in case OB motor clamps come loose???

/ Len
Thanx, thought it pivoted like that but after seeing pics looks like it could have been put at a T junction, not sure what it looks like before install or even if it would sandwich that in..thanx
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:24   #10
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,156
Images: 1
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Thanx, thought it pivoted like that but after seeing pics looks like it could have been put at a T junction, not sure what it looks like before install or even if it would sandwich that in..thanx
Did you look at pic of my boat in second link? / Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:25   #11
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,496
Images: 7
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Take two blocks of teak, approx. 5 x 7 x 3/4 inches and router a half round linear groove down the center of each longways. Put them groove to groove around the top pulpit bar and bolt corners together with stainless machine bolts, washers, and lock washers. Fit should be snug, can use thin shim in between blocks so as not to deform too much as they will split.

Unit can rotate but when the outboard is in place the lower end of the outboard is tied to the lower bar on the pulpit. Mine has lasted for 20 years with zero maintenance.

Time invested, maybe 3 to 4 hours. Total cost including mat'ls, three trips to the hardware store, and zero wages, maybe $40 bucks (that's for free on a boat.)
__________________
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:28   #12
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Did you look at pic of my boat in second link? / Len
just now, thank you sir
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:32   #13
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Take two blocks of teak, approx. 5 x 7 x 3/4 inches and router a half round linear groove down the center of each longways. Put them groove to groove around the top pulpit bar and bolt corners together with stainless machine bolts, washers, and lock washers. Fit should be snug, can use thin shim in between blocks so as not to deform too much as they will split.

Unit can rotate but when the outboard is in place the lower end of the outboard is tied to the lower bar on the pulpit. Mine has lasted for 20 years with zero maintenance.

Time invested, maybe 3 to 4 hours. Total cost including mat'ls, three trips to the hardware store, and zero wages, maybe $40 bucks (that's for free on a boat.)
That is almost identical to seateak and almost at same cost, think i pull trigger on it, can't get hurt too bad if it doesn't work out, thank you all
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:32   #14
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 3,614
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Not being able to see the ones you are comparing, I'll just say that I bought a rail mount for my 2 HP Honda from Defender on sale for about $15 and it has worked fine. It sandwiches on the rail and has slots for both the horizontal rail and a vertical rail so it doesn't let the motor rotate.


It's made of a composite material so it won't rot or fail from UV exposure. At that price, it didn't make sense for me to make one.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:49   #15
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 219
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Not being able to see the ones you are comparing, I'll just say that I bought a rail mount for my 2 HP Honda from Defender on sale for about $15 and it has worked fine. It sandwiches on the rail and has slots for both the horizontal rail and a vertical rail so it doesn't let the motor rotate.


It's made of a composite material so it won't rot or fail from UV exposure. At that price, it didn't make sense for me to make one.

not 15. bucks but does sit at the T junction.. thanx
WEST MARINE Rail-Mount Outboard Bracket | West Marine
__________________

__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lease, outboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLD] Teak Rail-Mount Outboard Bracket Drennan Classifieds Archive 3 09-02-2015 14:53
I can't get broken mercury outboard mount off. Please advise OrangeCrush Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 19-11-2012 19:02
How to mount propane tank to aft rail kevinmac Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 3 16-10-2012 06:56
Building a Stern Rail Outboard Mount - Tips? dman535 Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 4 28-08-2009 15:48
Broken SSB Rail Mount - Help! 3Eagles Marine Electronics 5 26-05-2009 18:51


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.