Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 07:05   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Options for single-handed mast climbing?

What are some safe options (if any) for single-handed mast climbing?

I'm looking at folding steps, for one. A safety harness should be worn with this
method. So how does one use the steps with the harness as far as using a
halyard or some sort of attachment to a safety line?

What about the "TopClimber" self-hoisting setup, is this a viable option?

Thanks!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 07:44   #2
KTP

Re: Options for single-handed mast climbing?

Get a "MastMate" ladder, which goes in the sail slug slots and attaches to a halyard. Use a second halyard with a prusik knot or an ascender.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 07:49   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This review liked it. I've never tried it, and I've never climbed the mast without someone on a safety line, but if you are singlehanding, my guess is the Topclimber is the best bet. Hope some riggers chime in.
https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/7-mast-cl...-on-test-49797
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Options for single-handed mast climbing?

I like the permanent steps.. the folding ones flip shut on occasions leaving awkward gaps when you dont want

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:35   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I use the top climber on one halyard which works well. I also have a climbing harness as a safety line which is connected to a second halyard with a prusik knot
Old 27-04-2019, 08:43   #6

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

If the "Top Climber" is the same as the "Mast Climber", yes, it is perfectly safe. The "tail" needs to be thethered down tightly, to avoid swinging around. I switched out my halyard for a new line, just to be on the safe side.
I thought about installing steps but knew I would get them crooked and the misalignment would drive me crazy, PLUS the Mast Climber can be used on other boats, as well, making it very versatile. Using climber's "ascenders/descenrs" makes it very simple to maintain. Only complaint is the price, but steps are almost as expensive.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 405 Grand Large

We use the TopClimber as well and are very satisfied with it. Normally we use a second halyard on a winch as a safety line, but in solo use you can indeed also use a prusik knot on another fixed halyard as a safety measure.

It is safer than to be winched up by an inexperienced crew member (winch operating error), but single-handed that's not an option in the first place.
Hans V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:47   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I have folding steps. I like them but see boatman61 above. Due to folding steps I use two prusik knots with a foot loop for those awkward gaps. 8^)
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:48   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7

My earlier thread on this topic. Some good suggestions, my posts represent what not to do.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ap-196158.html
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:54   #10

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

I have seen several riggers hoist a block and tackle to the top of the mast on one halyard, then just pull themselves up the mast in a bosun's chair. I don't recall what purchase they used - maybe 5:1. They ALWAYS secure themselves with a prusik knot on a second halyard.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:21   #11

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I use a four part tackle with 1/2" line. I attach the upper block to a halyard and pull it up to the halyard shives or above where I intend to work. At the top of the mast, I then pull myself up to where it is two-blocked. At that point, I have two options. I have two mast steps to stand on and I can pull my self up to vertical and strap myself to the mast. I can work on the highest part of the mast at this point. The other option is to attach my climbing harness to an unused halyard and have my wife pull it taunt. To stop at any intermediate point or to just rest my hands and arms, I use a Jumar ascender to the part used for pulling myself up. When finished, I stand on the boatswains chair and pull the working line down and into a bag. When the tackle is two-blocked again, I detach it from the halyard and drop it into the bag. I have used this system for many years. The blocks and lines always come out of the bag running free. With a little additional help from my wife on the tail, climbing becomes very easy. No wench handles needed. Of course, I have a bag of line that must be stowed and cared for, but I also consider this bag of line as a safety reserve incase I need to tow a drogue or for some other reason requiring a long piece of line.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:22   #12

Boat: Self build

I've also recently been looking for an easy and cheap solo mast-climbing solution. Money's tight, so blowing £200 or so on a Mast-Mate was something I was trying to avoid.

Rather than buy a ladder someone else has made, I simply bought 25m of tubular webbing and tied it into an etrier using this guide:

And voila! A rope ladder I can hoist with a halyard for a fraction of the price of someone else making it for me
Baggywhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:40   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

I'm using a 4:1 purchase system I put together to self climb.
40 ft stick.
Two fiddle blocks, one ratcheting, and about 200 ft of 3/8" line.
This is easy enough for me at 170lbs to pull myself many times up and brown the mast. It takes only 1 hand to pull.
Repelling down is easy.
At the top I've installed 4 aluminum steps two use to perch, and tie off a safety line, I am able to then step up and look over the mast.
As well able to remove all tension on the halyard to work on sheaves if nessessary.
It's a small initial investment, but works on even taller mast if you have someone to stage the rig while your standing on the spreaders or tied off to hardware.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 12:07   #14

Boat: Valiant 32

I bought an electric garage hoist..The type you would connect to a rafter and lift engines out of a car with, it has a brake so when its not running the brake is on. I extended the cable with the up down stop/lock out buttons to the length of the mast and take that up the mast with me. I mount the hoist on my centre mooring cleat, connect the hook to a halyard and pull the hook to the top of the mast then connect my bosuns chair to that halyard at the bottom of the mast. I run a climbing descender on another halyard as a safety and also to get down if the hoist ever craps out. It uses 320 watt so wotks on my invertor. I can whizz up and down the mast all day. One downfall is I can't get it wet, so no good when its raining.
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 12:22   #15

I had both the Topclimber and the Alone Aloft, i have since sold the Topclimber and kept the Alone Aloft.....with Bosuns Chair.

The Alone Aloft equipment is far superior, the downside is this is reflected in the price difference......

https://aloftalone.com/
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, single