Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2012, 07:06   #1

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Question opinions on roller reefing

My old heavy mahogany boom was getting a little punky in a few places so I had to put in a couple of scarfs this winter. That being done and back on the boat, I found a used boom at 2nd Wave in Seattle that is a perfect replacement for mine.
A beautiful, straight, clear, varnished Spruce spar with old Merriman roller reefing hard ware on it in perfect shape, exactly the right length of 16'8" for $300!! I couldn't buy the wood & glue for that!
Needless to say, I am a happy camper!
But, I've never had roller reefing or sailed on any boat that had it.
Are there any tricks I should know? Maybe there is an old timer out there who remembers how these things work. Looks basic enough - put in handle, slack main halyard and crank?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:54   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: opinions on roller reefing

Getting it to track up the mast is the trick. Did you get that gear too?
Old 24-04-2012, 08:16   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I keep the old roller reefing on Bluestocking just for originality. My new main (2+2) has slabs sewn in. The problem of the tack set-back on the boom is overcome by a luff jackline.
Needs 2 eyelets at each trackslide position, thru which you rig the jackline, and adjust sail shape.
Gets in the way when slab reefing, and stowing the sail.
BTW, you boom spec is identical to my Rhodes Reliant 41.
Old 24-04-2012, 18:47   #4

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I keep the old roller reefing on Bluestocking just for originality. My new main (2+2) has slabs sewn in. The problem of the tack set-back on the boom is overcome by a luff jackline.
Needs 2 eyelets at each trackslide position, thru which you rig the jackline, and adjust sail shape.
Gets in the way when slab reefing, and stowing the sail.
BTW, you boom spec is identical to my Rhodes Reliant 41.

Yeah, I get it - my main is built the same way (almost new, built by Carol Haas, Pt. Townsend)
I think the boom was originally a roller reefer and then modified. It has the roller end on the boom which is chrome bronze, missing the original out haul screw jack mechanism. The goose neck end has been made of SS steel(nice job) I figure the original gear for rolling the boom must have worn out and they rebuilt the goose neck end & went to slab reefing. Which is all fine & dandy but now that I've got this new boom with all the original gear, I might as well see how it works! (probably not worth a damn!)
Looks like the way the sail is made, you take up the first reef by rolling it up & slab reef the rest, having 2 reef points sown in and the 1st being very deep, I'm beginning to understand the nature of the beast. And so it goes with an old boat!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roller reefing