Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 16:26   #1

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Opinions on Profurl In-Boom Furling

One of the boats on our (current) short list has a Profurl in-boom furling main. I've never sailed one of these and am curious what the opinions of forum members are regarding them. The boat in question is 21,500# displacement, 41.5' LOA (38' LOD), full-keeled cutter rig. Both the genoa and the self tacking staysail are on rollers too, so it seems that reefing should be a breeze (so to speak).

Opinions?
Old 17-09-2010, 17:22   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
One of the boats on our (current) short list has a Profurl in-boom furling main. I've never sailed one of these and am curious what the opinions of forum members are regarding them. The boat in question is 21,500# displacement, 41.5' LOA (38' LOD), full-keeled cutter rig. Both the genoa and the self tacking staysail are on rollers too, so it seems that reefing should be a breeze (so to speak).

Opinions?
There are good and bad opinions on in-boom furls.

They are full battened.

They can be furled off wind a bit.

Reefing is fairly EZ.

One doesn't need sail covers or lazy jacks.

Your not likely to break a boom.

They are expensive. (but it's already installed).

They are heavy, off-setting the vessels ballast.

Their performance is just OK.

Most of them one has to go up on deck to furl.

There's no boom vang, but a rigid vang/support.

And if you have an accidental jibe............

Here's some other discussion. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tem-18207.html
Old 18-09-2010, 10:16   #3

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Thanks for the link - I had read that thread. Most of the posts in it refer to the Leisurefurl system, this boat has a Profurl.

I have to say that I'm liking the idea of unlimited reefing and easy stowage. Not sure if it can be done from the cockpit or if you have to go to the mast on this boat. I'll have to check that out.

Tags
furling