Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2006, 09:11   #16

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We've lazy jacks made of thin woven lines plus a locally made stack pack.

Despite a 22 metre rig holding a 720 sq foot mainsail we have no issues managing a hoist or a drop two handed in a tidy fashion.

Practially its best to have two hands when hoisting to prevent snags twix battens and lines - but has been done single handed with a stretched out leg toeing an eletric winch button!

Dropping only involves turning head to wind and AWAYYYYYYYYY with the clutch. Seriously - Harken ball slides will hep it come down quick down real quick if that's whats needed, but it is better to have it 'fast controlled' and it also stacks neater.

If you can afford it, ball sliders and full battens do make it kind of easy both ways.

And IMHO they are definately NOT more trouble than they are worth - I'm not sure how we'd stow our mainsail without it.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 23-08-2006, 11:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I've looked at the stack packs but I don't know that it would work that well with a loose footed sail.
I have a neighbor with a sail pack and loose footed main sail on a Bavaria 37. It works fine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 12:07   #18
jzk

We have the dutchman on our Beneteau 47.7 with UK tapedrive main. It works awesome. I wouldn't have another boat without it. The holes are no big deal - they have these plastic grommets where the hole is.
jzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 12:30   #19

Boat: Privilege 37
To get the best from the lazy jacks you really need to add two other components:
a stackpack
and full length battens

This manual shows all three. http://www.doylesails.com/StackPackManual.pdf I know nothing about the sailmaker, but the manual shows what I wanted!
Old 23-08-2006, 13:25   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Thanks all for the great comments!

I'm really leaning towards the system that Jon D mentioned. As for the idea of the stack pack, I think I'm going to let that go. I don't think it would do well on THIS boat.

I do have the Strong Track system and full battens so when I release the main halyard it drops like a rock. My only concern is the flaking of the sail luff.

Most of it wants to go to one side so I have to re-raise the sail and then have to re-flake P/S to put it away properly.

I'm wondering if the new sail will train (break in) itself after a period of time. My old sail just had slides and straps to the sail and had trained itself, althought it still would go to the wrong side at times. A Dutchman at the luff would elininate that problem but I'd still need lazy jacks to catch the rest.

Does anyone else have the flaking problem and what do you do?????
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 13:39   #21
jzk

With the dutchman, you don't need lazy jacks
Old 23-08-2006, 13:50   #22

I've never had one! BUT does a Dutchman flake the luff properly??????? I thought that Duchmans were threaded, more or less, down the leach.
Old 23-08-2006, 14:14   #23
jzk

The dutchman employs control lines which are like very thick fishing lines. They go through the sail such that the sail can't help but flake properly. I think our 47.7 has 4 lines. Usually it takes a little guidance, but if I just drop the sail with no guidance it does pretty well. And even if it doesn't, it is just a matter of a little tugging here and there to get it back to the proper stack.
Old 23-08-2006, 15:53   #24

I use a 3 line dutchman and it is simple, elegant, inexpensive.. reliable and assists with reefing as well as flaking a sail.

What's not to like?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:00   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We had "EZ Jax" make a set-up for our Cal 2-29 in 2000 and they worked great under all conditions. In January 2002 we purchased a new boat and let a rigger convince us (me) that a Dutchman system was preferable (for him as he got a good commission of the sale--not for us). The Dutchman has proven to be worth dirt and, as soon as the first riser dies--hopefully sooner than later-- we plan to remove it and order a set of EZ Jax. At such time, anyone interested in our Dutchman System is welcome to it for naught but the cost of shipping!

/s/ Scott
s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 11:10   #26

love em

Seraph, our Cape Dory 25D, is my first boat to have them and I'm totally addicted.

One thing I've found that makes a big difference is whether or not there is enough line in the system so that they can be hauled to the mast and totally out of the way. When I bought Seraph the line wasn't long enough to allow me to lead them to the mast and out of the way. I've since replaced the line and can now lead them to the mast. This gets them completely out of the way for raising the main. I do this quite often as I usually heave to to raise the main. It also prevents any chaff from occurring where the lazy jack touches the main while sailing.

"Each to his own said the man as he kissed the cow"

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 13:04   #27

Thumbs up Good enough

I think the EZ jax system is what I'll set up. As for the flaking, I guess I'll just have to do what I've been doing for years, reflake by hand.

Thanks all for the great comeback on this...................................._/)
Old 19-05-2008, 06:46   #28

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Back from the dead.....

Hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread, but it answered all of my questions except one.....

We have a stack pack system with a fully battened main and battens on the sides of the pack. We can reef the luff and leech securely, but in the middle is a huge mass of material which doesn't seem very secure- I worried a strong gust will blow it all out. We have reefing points across the sail, but there appears to be nowhere to push these lines through the stack pack material. Am I missing something?
We want to start taking down the lazy jacks while we're sailing and rolling the 2 sides of the stack pack away- do the middle reefing lines go around these? Or should I leave the lazy jacks and sides in place and secure the material inside somehow? (the lazy jacks hold up the sides of the pack) Or is there a simple and obvious solution which I just cant see!

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 04:59   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out the Doyle StackPack Installation Manual:
http://www.doylesails.com/StackPackManual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 20:55   #30

Issue with stack pack

I sail many different boats of different cofigurations in a sailing club. Some have stack packs and I have a personal reason for not liking them. I'm 5'7" and I have not found a stack pack that I can reach into in order to attach the halyard to the sail. One boat has a step on the mast which gets me up enough to reach into the stack pack, but with one had holding me upright, it is near impossible to connect the halyard with one hand.

I've sailed a Wilderness 40 with a retractable lazy jack system and was totally impressed. Retracting insured that there was no hang up on raising the sail. It was easy to flake the sail before retracting the lazy jack.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote