Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 14:42   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
oiwder coating hardware

Does anyone have experience with powder coated hardware? Some of the chrome is coming off and I'm wondering if powder coating is an alternative that is viable.
Dang I just saw I misspelled powder coating on the thread title
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:53   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: oiwder coating hardware

Why powder coat? One of my friends was unhappy with his winch drums and not only had them re chromed but they also renewed the texturing. I don't recall the exact price but do recall that it seemed quite reasonable.

Powder coating is neat but when we had our patio furniture recoated it only seemed to extend the life by a couple years.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Why powder coat? One of my friends was unhappy with his winch drums and not only had them re chromed but they also renewed the texturing. I don't recall the exact price but do recall that it seemed quite reasonable.

Powder coating is neat but when we had our patio furniture recoated it only seemed to extend the life by a couple years.
I dealt with powdercoating a lot in automotive and see it used on boats. If properly prepped it should last years. I just didn't know if anyone had experience with it. Chromeplate if real chrome plate is now done by only a few places due to the environmental restrictions of RoHS back in 2006ish, Hexivalient chrome is nasty stuff and banned in europe and automotive went that way. There is trivalient chrome but if memory serves it's not as tough.
Plus I just wanted to color coordinate the boat. Hubby used to say chrome was my favorite color when I road bikes so I figure I need to get a new favorite color
Old 30-04-2015, 15:16   #4
Eternal Member

OK

My wife and I both ride bikes so I can relate. What I don't know ( and that's a lot) is whether powder coating will adhere to chrome.

I'll try to follow this thread and maybe learn something.

Rich

Old 30-04-2015, 15:32   #5

Cabo, whatever finish is currently on the hardware-chrome, laquer, paint etc. will have to come off probably by bead blast, degrease to clean, then heat to outgas- most hard ware is cast and air can get caught in the pours, then powder coat and heat to cook on coating.
Prep is the key.
Old 30-04-2015, 15:51   #6
Eternal Member

oiwder coating hardware

Oh biker!

Prep is the key is either the mantra or curse of almost all projects. Days of prep for minutes of application 😫

It also sounds like you have the project well in hand. I would be a might curious as to what kind of hardware you are considering to coat.

This is a somewhat dangerous question. When I came home today I found my wife had painted one of the bathrooms PURPLE!!

Almost as good as the time I came home to find the family room painted Pepto Bismol PINK. 🙀

Oh well, our arrangement is that she does what she wants with house and I do what I want with boat.

No wonder we're always broke.

Regards,
Rich

Old 30-04-2015, 16:12   #7

I'motconvincd hat pder coatig ia good marine oang.

(OK, now I will type that off line in Word and cut and paste it here…)

I’m not convinced that powder coating is a viable marine alternative, maybe if it has zero possible penetrations, some I’ve seen is terrible out in the weather.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:20   #8
Eternal Member

That was my original concern but I guess it depends on the hardware involved. If it is ornamental I suppose it could work, but for working gear like winches, I don't think it is durable

Old 30-04-2015, 16:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have had mixed results with powder coating. When it fails, it fails spectacularly. On steel, corrosion will start at a nick or an edge and spread underneath so the powder coating comes off in sheets. Has happened to a lesser extent with aluminum. If we are talking winch drums or other high friction areas, don't think it would last.

Would have the parts re-chromed or de-chromed if they are bronze.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:31   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

30 years back I was advised by a large powdercoating facility that powdercoating was NOT a good form of corrosion prevention in marine or other severve enviroments. It is an excellent ornamental coating. Perhaps powdercoating technology has improved since then!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:47   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
30 years back I was advised by a large powdercoating facility that powdercoating was NOT a good form of corrosion prevention in marine or other severve enviroments. It is an excellent ornamental coating. Perhaps powdercoating technology has improved since then!

Doubt it.....look at some of the air "marine" line of wind gens. The "marine" is white powder coat, and it's almost always flaking off of the things.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:05   #12

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Does anyone have experience with powder coated hardware? Some of the chrome is coming off and I'm wondering if powder coating is an alternative that is viable.
Dang I just saw I misspelled powder coating on the thread title
Dont bother on a boat. If you want steel or aluminium to corrode as quickly as possible powder coating is a great solution.

That chrome that's coming off is probably nickel plate. Again not much use on a boat.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:20   #13

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Dont bother on a boat. If you want steel or aluminium to corrode as quickly as possible powder coating is a great solution.
Scanstrut uses powder coating on their radar mounts. Seem to hold up quite well as long as the surface is not damaged (which is pretty much true of any coating).

I bought one of those Eastwood kits and have a dedicated oven in my garage for it (old baking oven). This is obviously not the quality of an industrial powder coating job, but it does a pretty decent job. The finish is nice after you get the hang of it. Did a bunch of aluminum table hardware and other in cabin stuff. It is holding up great in the cabin (2 years) and it is very scratch resistant. I kept scratching one of the table corners with my belt buckle before powder coating, but now not a single mark on them after two seasons.

I can't say I would trust it on the topsides. That being said my plan is to coat one or two of my stanchion bases and see how it goes.

As far as the original question goes. Go for a re-chrome or just replace it. Powder coating is not going to give you a decent finish unless you star with a decent base.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:18   #14

The Aluminum side plates on my rudder needed refurbishment
I had them Soda Blasted then Powder Coated.
Came out great and I get loads of comments about how great they look.
Boat is an O'Day Mariner 2+2
This is there second season and they still look great although the boat
Is on a fresh water lake and it lives on its trailer when not being sailed.
I dig up some pics and post tomorrow.
Used the same shop my son uses for car parts.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 20:36   #15

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Scanstrut has held up very well for me and my customers. I think some folks just like to decry stuff they know little about.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware