Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 13:52   #1

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Occasional halyard wrap....

I am getting this happening more frequently. I have serviced the furler and all swivels etc are working perfectly. I suspect my 7° is not met and will have to install a pennant to get it right.
I suppose the only way is to go up the mast and measure the triangle to calculate exactly how long a pennant? I guess the halyard force required goes up as the angle increases, also the lateral force on the restrainer, so gotta be careful?
I was thinking, maybe a spectra pennant with an eye splice to the genoa head and just knot it to the swivel for test run?
Any body got a refinement on this?
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:13   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Occasional halyard wrap....

When jibs are short on the luff, halyard wraps are more common & problematic. As a sail in the foil is fairly tough to accidentally have it wrap around the stay/foil such that your halyard either binds or wraps. So a pendant up top may not be the first choice for a fix. One at the bottom on the other hand... may work out better. Especially if it's long enough to allow the head of the sail to be perfectly positioned for the halyard restrainer to work.
It's worth picking the brains of a couple of sailmakers & riggers too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:27   #3

I agree put your pendant at the bottom. I've seen people get a halyard wrap and then winch the furling line which unravels the ss forestay at the top, called a birds nest. Then you start writing checks. Stand back with a good pair of binoculars and you should get it close enough, make sure to allow enough to take in more halyard tension if it starts to blow.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:42   #4

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Thanks! I will try at the bottom first.
I was out with the missus, daughter & grandson (3yrs) yesterday, All non-sailors.
Poled out the genni running in light winds. Wind switched to beam and lifted to 15 knts & things got a little hectic.
Gotta get an inboard quick release on the pole or i'm gonna lose a finger.
Also, clip to the sheet rather than clew cringle.
So much to learn, so little time.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 21:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Use the halyard to run a tape up the mast till the swivel tops out. Measure the luff of the sail
Add a pendant that makes the jib luff length plus a short pendant equal to the hoist height minus a foot or so.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard