Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2010, 17:48   #46

Boat: Camper & Nicholsons 38
Yes, the salesman came out and measured the boat on a fine sunny, windless day. It's about an hour and a half from Seattle. And he came out and installed the sails when they were done. I've no reason to believe he made an error in the measurements, however, of course to err is human.

I do think North Sails is a good loft - if they were not they would not be successful, and many people are happy with them. However, what has taken me aback is their intransigence with regards to redressing the situation. He made it clear there was no way they would remake it. At first, he tried to blame me for the error, saying for instance, that I had a halyard that he used to measure the luff that had a fat splice so didn't fit into the sheave right (an exageration and hardly likely to lead to a ten inch error). If he knew that why didn't he take that into account? And the mast has mast steps so he could easily have climbed up to see.

Anyway, I'm not sure what options I've got if they won't remake the genoa.

Van
afmstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 18:54   #47

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Have you contacted North Sails main office? Just the fact the battens bind would be enough to piss me off...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 19:04   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I had a great gennaker built by the North Loft in Sausalito, but don't feel that the local measurer/rock star gets what cruisers need. At one point I had to point out that he wasn't even in diapers the first time I won a regatta, so "young man, don't even think about suggesting that an 88-panel gennaker is too hot a sail for a cruising boat, because I know just enough about sailing to understand that other lofts would gladly take my money if you're not smart enough to build the sail I want."

Ahem.

But the resulting sail is spectacular.
Old 30-10-2010, 08:00   #49

Boat: a sailing boat
I have seen similar stories where cruisers walk in and request some fancy sail for a boat that will not really like it. Sails ARE different for flat, stable, fast skiffs and for the typical rolly cruising tub (smile).

I think the target of any good sailmaker would be to make the best sails for the boat. Sometimes this may include trying to dissuade the cruiser from an inadequate idea.

But the world is what it is and if anybody wants a code zero on a Westsail, they will get it. And in carbon or cuben fibre too, why not.

(We can provide code zero furlers with golden bearings as a 'prestige' option).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 08:15   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I had a great gennaker built by the North Loft in Sausalito, but don't feel that the local measurer/rock star gets what cruisers need. At one point I had to point out that he wasn't even in diapers the first time I won a regatta, so "young man, don't even think about suggesting that an 88-panel gennaker is too hot a sail for a cruising boat, because I know just enough about sailing to understand that other lofts would gladly take my money if you're not smart enough to build the sail I want."

Ahem.

But the resulting sail is spectacular.
It amazes me sometimes how a young person will think knowledge and experience weren't invented until after their birth Now where did I put that Curmudgeons Cup since I believe I should get it engraved with your name for that fine performance

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 08:20   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It amazes me sometimes how a young person will think knowledge and experience weren't invented until after their birth Now where did I put that Curmudgeons Cup since I believe I should get it engraved with your name for that fine performance
my students gave it to me a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering where they "found" it.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:00   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i think each loft in each city is different-- i was advised by the fella who repaired my main for ericson that if i have another sail to cut down it would be less if i said certain sentence as i brought it to the worker. lol... i appreciate that ..he didnt have to say that -- was a big help!! and triple stitched north mains are awesome sailing tools...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
North Sails