Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 14:13   #31

Boat: Acapulco 40' - Custom Built - Mariko
North Sails

Chris: We just ordered our sails from North last week and the representive came out and measured for everything, taking over 2 hrs. Also was informative as these are the first sails for our boat. He gave us alot of information regarding the rigging. They also are local (San Diego). We would recommend them highly. We got a very good price, also. Good luck in your choice. Diane
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds. Mark Twain
Dmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 14:32   #32

Boat: Westsail 32
Need deep pockets
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 15:31   #33

For a work of art that also sets well you need : Schattauer Sails Inc.

These guys will not press a cringle in, every one is hand sewn. Leathered/roped corners. But they are racers and sailors too...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 19:35   #34

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For a work of art that also sets well you need : Schattauer Sails Inc.

These guys will not press a cringle in, every one is hand sewn. Leathered/roped corners. But they are racers and sailors too...
Another satisfied customer of Schattauer sails.

We had them make a genoa and Assymetrical spinnaker for us as well as various repairs to our previous boat's wardrobe.

Steve B.

PS: Their weakness is Chocolate Chip Cookies
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 19:56   #35

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I can compliment Schattauer as well. Their price is right but their back log was just too long for me. They are very helpful even if your not buying a new sail.
Old 17-10-2009, 11:08   #36

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I got a new main and 140 genoa from the Annapolis North Sails loft last winter. Great sails, good service. They went and visited my boat in Rock Hall to get the measurements right. Also did a good job on the new sail cover for the main. A very good shop. I wouldnt hesitate to do it again.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 12:40   #37
Eternal Member

Chris,

Five years ago when Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis installed a new LeisureFurl boom furler on my 42' sloop, I had the North Sails yard in Annapolis build the mainsail for that furler. Purpose-built, full batten main, with a big roach. They were on time and on price, and gave great service on the boat despite the horrid winter weather conditions (just before Christmas).

That sail has held up very well and has performed beautifully. I couldn't be more pleased.

That said, when I'm next in the market for a sail...and it may be a 130-140% genoa, I surely will give Mack sails a chance to quote. They have a great reputation amongst cruising sailors.

BTW, AFAIK the only lofts in Annapolis which still build sails locally are Scott Sails (that may have changed) and Housley Sailmakers (Glenn is meticulous and very talented -- high-end sails at a high-end price).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 21:42   #38

does anyone know about north sails Sri-Lanka.We need new sails and are in India at the moment the agent here's quote was quite high and wsaid we would have to pay for someone to come and measure them .They are made in Sri Lanka anyway ,so we thought it would be easier to go there,on way to Thailand, and get them direcr,but can't seem to find any phone numbers or info,Thanks
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 22:22   #39

Boat: Adams Bluewater 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Harryws
I purchased a full set (5 sails) from the North Sail Sydney loft in Australia. The best purchase decision I ever made for my 42ft boat. Delivered on time, fit well and aftersail service is very good. I purchased a standard reacher ie one off the shelf to fit my boat. It was made in Sri Lanka. The cloth and cut is North Sails but the stitching is done in Sri Lanka. It is perfect with each panel matching exactly. No over stitch and each line of stitches is strait as a die. Great sail at a very reasonable price. Would purchase again
Harryws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 02:18   #40

thanks,we just really want to know if anyone has ever actually gone to the sri-lankan loft and bought the sails actually in sri-lanka,and not through an agent in a different country thanks again
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 05:19   #41

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Need deep pockets
Think about this all the major sailmakers will discount at least 22% off their prices this time of the year, with the economy perhaps more they are hurting.

The small lofts usually can't discount as much they don't buy raw materiel in volume.

Now compare prices.

They should be close $$ but you're getting tremendous tech advances and advise that small lofts simply don't have access to or the $$ to develop.

I know the owners of Doyle and UK, their knowledge is priceless and you can get them on the phone. North & Quantum are great also.

I use Fusion 4 by Quantum for racing, but feel UK & Doyle are better for cruising sail and gear.

Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 15:42   #42

Boat: Camper & Nicholsons 38
We just got new North Sails for Rainshadow, our 38' Camper and Nicholson ketch. We went with North Sails because we liked the salesman in Seattle - he was knowledgable, friendly, and very helpful. And they were price competitive.

However, the sails were a disaster. The geneoa was made too short - the luff requires a ten inch pennant to prevent halyard wraps. The main now has battens, and these do not clear the backstay - not even close. In light air, we cannot tack or jibe unless I literally hang my full weight on the end of the boom, and in good air, the whole rig shakes as the battens pop through. The mizzen is fine, though.

Also, the sail designer clearly did not take any account of the need to balance the rig. With our old sails, it was always easy (and a pleasure) to balance the helm perfectly on almost any point of sail. Now, it's a struggle - and it's obvious why. The designer added to the roaches of the main and mizzen, and reduced the sail area of the genoa by a LOT (especially with it being ten inches too short), so of course now we have bad weather helm.

North Sails have agreed to add some extra length to the top panel of the genoa, although it will still need a 3 or 4 inch pennant to fit. And I don't believe that this is going to give us as good a sail as if they had designed it right from the start. (It's radial cut btw).

They've agreed to cut the roach back on the main, and shorten the battens.

But overall, it was a bad experience, and not one I will repeat. I feel kind of sorry for the salesman in Seattle. Assuming he gave the designer correct measurements, it should not really be seen as his fault. However, it seems he's limited in what he can do. For instance, I would have much preferred them to remake the genoa - adding ten inches to the sail at the foot would have added a lot of useful area and better helped balance the helm. However, that would have required they make a new sail because of the radial cut. Instead, they decided they could squeeze in 7 inches in the upper panels, and save themselves a lot of money, no doubt.

Van
afmstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 16:30   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 419
you must insist on new genoa, they will resell it, don't feel sorry for them.

U can't addon.

The main is ok too big and with trimming the roach down but U should get a discount for their error, if not insist on a new one.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 17:17   #44

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Afmstm, something seems very wrong with this story... First, did your salesman actualy come out and measure your boat? North Sails Annapolis salesman Will Keyworth is driving all the way to Trenton, NJ to measure our boat ( 2 1/2 hours) and is coming again in the spring. I'm trying to imagine how this all happened if North had the correct information... And what possessed them to change the sail plan enough that it has screwed up the boats balance? C

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 17:31   #45

Boat: a sailing boat
What else would you expect? It is a good loft with long tradition.

I would NEVER reject a great quote from N-S. What a pity they never gave me one ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
North Sails