Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 08:53   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: New Swage - metal torn at root - Acceptable?

Thank you all for the input. I just spoke to the rigger (Tom @ rigging only) and below is the reply to an email I sent him that was similar to the one I asked here. We are waiting a reply now from Hayn Engineering. I did ask Tom about a Penetrant Dye Test. He's of the opinion/assumption that the swages will FAIL the test, but still says the condition is not necessarily an issue. I also asked him about rotary swaging machines vice press type. They used to use a rotary machine and have gone away from them as the rotary machine leaves more space for water to get in and that's the main concern here in New England. The press machine squeezes from the wire entry end toward the fitting end and leaves a better plume on the wire in the fitting, he said, as opposed to rotary swaging which squeezes the reverse direction. BTW, He recommends nothing (no Lanoline, locktile, caulk, etc.) in the ends of the swages for keeping water out. He said they did testing and found water runs down the inner core of the 1x19 and nothing prevents it. Putting in Lanolin can actually prevent evaporation and make corrosion in the swage worse. I'll let you know what Hayn says... stay tuned

Hi Zach, under stand your concern. Dies used on our fittings are from the fitting manufacture and do have a pretty sharp entry. Don't really think there is any issue here but will forward this on to them for their comments. May take a day or so for their response. Thanks, Tom
Rigging Only
50 Fort Street
Fairhaven, MA 02719
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 06:32   #32

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Below is the reply from Hayn (swage manufacture) forwarded to me via the rigger. Not sure "we have not received reports of failed fittings due to the transition" makes me feel much better... I sure hope they don't get very many failure reports at all! and "I don't believe it will be an issue" doesn't instill much confidence...

Zach, following is a copy of the e-mail just rec'd from Brett at Hayn, hope this helps, Tom
Hi Tom,

I have looked at all the pictures provided and read the concern from your customer. I do agree that the transition is steep from the photos, but (without seeing the fitting first hand) I don’t believe it will be an issue. Your dies are reflective in shape and texture to all others in stock and to date Hayn has not received any reports of failed fittings due to the transition. I think the comparison to a rotary swaged fitting is misleading the customer into believing there is a problem as it does in fact look different.

As you are aware, this style of swaging whether it be a Kearny, Loos, or Wireteknik machine that utilizes a two opposing die system, there is bound to be areas of metal displacement that differ on the circumference of entry transition. Taking into consideration that amount of machines and swages these machines have made over the years, I would not be alarmed. Again, I am making this analysis without having the physical fitting in hand…

Best regards,

Brett Hasbrouck
General Manager

Hayn Enterprises, LLC
51 Inwood Road
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 07:17   #33

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Sounds to me like every response was written by the company attorney. I find the failure to provide any sort of affirmative statement to be complete bull feathers.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 23:01   #34

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
That new swage looks like it's been done with a cheap swager. I'd give it the float test. "If it floats it can go on my boat."

We are currently replacing all our standing rigging with staloks. The old swaged rigging is good quality but I have no confidence in the riggers in my area.

I have 3 trades and 3 engineering degrees including a materials background. While it's always less than ideal making metalurgical recommendations on a forum my concerns are:

1) poor surface finish is an indicator that the swage tooling is damaged
2) abrupt changes in section lead to fatigue failures
3) a good swage will always look good
4) poor surface finish is also a reliable proxy for uneven compression and deformation inside the swage at the swage wire interface. This allows moisture to do its evil work and detectability is not possible

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Really? No confidence in any rigger in the SF Bay Area? Why? Have you had bad luck in the past or know of folks who've had a rig failure done by SF riggers?
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote