Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 18:24   #16

Re: New Sta Lok Showing Rust

that pic looks like it's possible the rust is coming from the wire , onto the sta lok.....? just like a rust stain on the side of a boat..... if it's truly coming out of the fitting, it's still likely the wire would be my guess! or sta lok didnt check the certs on the material they used for iron content limits....

5200 will cause no issues whatsoever in removing a threaded fitting.

Dont normal swaged fittings collect water inside the swage? or are they so compressed maybe air or water cant get in? Might be a + for swaged fittings vs DIY fittings.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 18:26   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I never had any trouble opening or replacing StaLok fittings, but I may be a happy go lucky as the biggest wire here is 6 mm only. So I stand corrected that it may well be that bigger terminals are more difficult to open and re-assemble...
Just re-did some rigging on my cat with StaLok's this past season (about 3/8" wire as I recall), quite easy. I plan to disassemble this season to inspect and re-bed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 18:48   #18

Thanks for all the information provided through the different replies. When i installed all the fittings i scanned all the different forums and there was a mix of :

A)Let it clean
B)Caulk it

But nobody was complaining about rust in a "clean" installation. Furthermore, Sta-Lok instructions are not clear... they say:

Interior water proofing is not essential but will prevent water collecting in the bottom of the fitting.

Since i doubt the marine terminal are installed in a living room... those people at Sta Lok know that 90 % of their terminal will be installed in a salted environment (supposing the 10 % are in fresh water). Thus saying that "interior water proofing is not essential" led me to the conclusion that it was a rhetoric choice but not an essential thing to do.

Now after 2 months on the water with a brand new boat - self constructed - i just put the rigging on... having a look at those rusty fittings is not inviting at all. I think the only reasonable thing i can do is to dismantle them all, clean them and caulk.

Andre
northcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote