Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 26-11-2009, 12:03   #16

path fiinder furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Interesting. A number of years ago there was a company called Path Finder marine that sold a furler that allowed for a hanked on headsail. Too bad but they went out of business before I was able to get a good look at one. The foil isn't bad but it is a pain to change ss&sails in higher wind conditions. Does anyone know if there's a furling system out there that allows for rolling up a hanked on sail?
S&S Pathfinder Marine does indeed make a roller furling system for hank on sails. I have used it for the past 15 yrs without problems, they also make a self steering system. In both cases most parts are cast bronze so weight aloft is a consideration. I do like the 60 second sail changes. If youy are interested in more details, let me know. The cost I believe are $1200 for the furler and $2500 for the self steering. I am told they handle up to a 45ft boat

Old 26-11-2009, 17:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Well ... if you look up Facnor's they have been offering a 'structural' furler for a momo now - one where the sail can be tensioned without the risk of breaking the furler. Can be used for inner jibs (called staysails?) etc. on boats with many fore stays. Sort of like all the blessings of Code zero furler with the structural strength of a jib furler.

b.

Old 27-11-2009, 06:45   #18

Boat: s/v Sildene
Path-finder Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1usjack View Post
S&S Pathfinder Marine does indeed make a roller furling system for hank on sails. I have used it for the past 15 yrs without problems, they also make a self steering system. In both cases most parts are cast bronze so weight aloft is a consideration. I do like the 60 second sail changes. If youy are interested in more details, let me know. The cost I believe are $1200 for the furler and $2500 for the self steering. I am told they handle up to a 45ft boat
I also thought they had gone out of business (is it "Path-Finder Marine?"). Just done a web search and their old web address seems to say the Domain is for sale, and doesn't mention furlers or steering. So, 1usjac, if you have any current info on them, or on the current availability of their furling system, it'd be great to hear about.

Martin
Old 27-11-2009, 08:53   #19

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I like the idea of furling the sail on its own luff but it seems to me you would be restricted to dacron sails as it seems that when you get your tightly rolled sail down on deck you would have this 30ft long sausage that you now need to fold a number of times along its luff, it seems that to fit into a sailbag you are going to be folding in the same spots which would lead to delamination of a laminated sail,is this a legitimate concern or is it not a problem at all?
I had an old Mariner furler that used hank on sails which i thought was a brilliant system,(the Facnor stg 4t is basically the same)but with hank on sails you can do a nice loose flake and then bag it but with our laminated race sails we roll them loosly and stow them in big long bags which take up the whole cabin.
Steve.
Old 24-04-2010, 19:02   #20

I was working all day restoring a Parker- Dawson sailboat, and I have finally gotten to the sails that came with the boat.Interestingly, and something I have been wanting to get to, was what you have been describing here. I had a wound up sail with hanks, a turnbuckle on the top, and a cylindrical drum with several winds of line on it. The only marking on it was what appeared to be an S with a dolphin in the center, stamped on the drum. I knew it was some sort of roller furling, and I spent the better part of a day cleaning it up, oiling the two turnbuckles, and trying to figure out how it worked. I can see now that the drum winds the jib around the for-stay. I may have to do some creative work to get it lined up correctly, as it stuck at many points and put allot of pressure on the tack.Any info on how to get this working smoothly would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Tags
roller furling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: