Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 20:53   #16

Boat: Camper & Nicholsons 38
Re: New Sails . . . if You Have to Ask, You Can't Afford it !

Even if you go with a "name" loft, you need to be sure they do their job correctly and will stand by their work. We bought a new suite of sails (genoa, main, mizzen) from North Sails in Seattle last fall (during the super deal season as someone previously noted), and it was a disaster - I curse them every time I have to raise the main, which was cut too long, meaning I have to drop the boom so it just barely clears the cabin top. And the first reefing point is too far aft so I have had to move blocks on the boom to accomodate it. And the genoa was cut too short, and rather than remake it, they "hacked" in an extra length at the head to make it fit, now it has a funny kink in the leech. No way would they remake it.

So, two lessons - first, you can't trust even the big name lofts, and second, you should make sure that if the loft promises a "satisfaction guarantee" that they'll stand by it and remake the sails if they screw up - I'd ask them that point blank up front. And yes, the rep did come to the boat to measure it himself.
afmstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 20:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsgirl0323 View Post
Yup, they're still there. the boat was a 76, and I know it will cost more to fix her than was PAID for her.
Oooo, ouch! but you may wish to be aware you may be responsible for removing the wreck and having it disposed of. (I considered creating an artificial reef with a previous boat... there's rather a lot more to it than I'd originally thought!)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 21:00   #18

Maybe just buy a 135%. 150% is rather aggressive for the cruising lifestyle (it would be 155% wouldn't it?) I wouldn't buy a used sail unless it is practically new...crispy, stiff and white.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 15:10   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I recently got a new suit at Ballard sails here in Seattle for substantially less than the competitors. They are a fairly new loft and I think they are undercutting everyone else to get a start in the market. A little bit of the usual runaround but nice guys and they stood by their work and were happy to make adjustments for me. My new main cost me about 2500.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 15:18   #20

Boat: Custom

If you can wait until winter you will find most lofts have some good sales on sails!

I mean the dead of winter when you would be insane to go outside let alone sailing

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sails