Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 07:00   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: New sail for the circumnavigating Bene 423

Yolo,
1) Please do yourself the favor and spend 5 - 10 minutes reading a few things, before you make up your mind...

New Sails

Dacron Sailcloth

Discussion About Sailcloth
Sail Cloth

"Happiness is finding a sailmaker who understands"
Good Old Boat - I've got the new sail blues article

2) The easy answer to what cruising sail to buy is:
Dacron...
Challenge Marblehead Dacron...
Challenge Marblehead Dacron, from a good sailmaker...

And, thanks Jim....I smiled when I read this....how true this is!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't know about the OPs boat, but on ours when reefing in the dark at sea, the sail is often rudely squashed up at the clew , with creases and such being forced into the cloth. Not the way it looks in the pretty diagrams in the how to sail books... just reality!

In my experience, sails built upon mylar films don't like that process very much, and repeated instances lead to poor sail shape followed by weakening in the creased areas. The advantage of superior shape retention claimed for the laminates is compromised by this sort of life experience, I think! I suspect that even woven Dacron is not helped to a long life by this sort of abuse, but its tolerance is much higher.

3) Understand that all sailmakers are not the same...many are not even sailors!!
And many sailmakers are not "makers", but "salesman", so they should be called "sailssalesmen"....
And, many don't actually "make" anything....they just have patterns that a loft cuts/sews to, and sell 'ya the finished product...

Note that doesn't mean they're dishonest, etc. nor incompetent, etc....just that some are more educated/experienced than others....

{And some actually can/do design sails for you, your boat, and your application (and cut/sew it in their own loft), AND are willing / ready to talk to you and explain things to you, whether you buy a sail from them or not...}

4) Whether you need/want 3 reefs (or more likely 2), is something that you should discuss with a sailmaker who sails and is a real sailmaker....

5) As for my recommendations...
Mack Sails
Mack Sails Sailmakers for mainsails, headsails, genoas, spinnakers, lazy jacks
772-283-2306

Please give Travis a call, tell 'em John MacDougall said for you to call...
(FYI, I don't work for them...I'm just a long-time, satisfied customer!)

6) The examples you showed quotes for, seem to be fairly low-end Dacron cloth (and 7.1 oz seems pretty light for an offshore circumnav on a 42 footer)
See above links for details about the cloth....
(There are a lot of different cloths out there...and they vary widely in price and quality....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
It's time for a new main sail on the Beneteau 423. It was 11 years old so it had a great run.

I'm going to get full battens and 3 reefs. These are the options I'm considering.

I'm looking at these sails. Since it's a big investment, I wanted to ask you guys, Any reason why I should go for one over the other?
Beneteau 423 Tri-Radial Main Sail at Precision Sail Loft
$3,192.56
FX Sails Instant Online Sail Pricing
PRICE WITH OPTIONS: $4333.00
I would not recommend either of them....(see above for details and further info)

Any other sailmakers I should consider?
Mack Sails
Mack Sails Sailmakers for mainsails, headsails, genoas, spinnakers, lazy jacks
772-283-2306

I hope my thoughts/recommendations help...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 15:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Thanks to everyone, this was a very helpful thread. It's very tempting to click "add to cart" online and get the purchase over with, but it looks like, with everything else on the boat, I must do my research. Glad to have a great support forum like this one with real sailors.

Right now I'm working with Doyle sails on a 9.5 oz sail. It's pricey at $4500, but I'm trying to see if they're interested in a partial sponsorship given the extensive reviews and media we'd provide them as really young circumnavigators (26 and 27). Any tips on anyone willing to sponsor/partially sponsors for reviews/media/coverage on our blog would be immensely appreciated!
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 15:26   #18

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yolo, I don't think that is particularly expensive. I have recently got a quote for a good main for my 42ft farr cruiser for a little more than that. 3 reefs etched etc. From North Sails Auckland. A great loft, with very experienced sailors. Saving the $ now!

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-06-2014, 15:27   #19

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Thanks to everyone, this was a very helpful thread. It's very tempting to click "add to cart" online and get the purchase over with, but it looks like, with everything else on the boat, I must do my research. Glad to have a great support forum like this one with real sailors.

Right now I'm working with Doyle sails on a 9.5 oz sail. It's pricey at $4500, but I'm trying to see if they're interested in a partial sponsorship given the extensive reviews and media we'd provide them as really young circumnavigators (26 and 27). Any tips on anyone willing to sponsor/partially sponsors for reviews/media/coverage on our blog would be immensely appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Yolo, I don't think that is particularly expensive. I have recently got a quote for a good main for my 42ft farr cruiser for a little more than that. 3 reefs etc. From North Sails Auckland. A great loft, with very experienced sailors. Saving the $ now!

Old 13-06-2014, 15:27   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Yolo, I don't think that is particularly expensive. I have recently got a quote for a good main for my 42ft farr cruiser for a little more than that. 3 reefs etched etc. From North Sails Auckland. A great loft, with very experienced sailors. Saving the $ now!

Well, in comparison with what I was about to "add to cart" it is

I guess it's fair market price...

Tags
sail