Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 00:50   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
New Rigging Rust Stains Under a Month !?

I recently had the rigging renewed as it was ten years old and the boat lived in a hot climate, I was not there to over see the rigging being done.

The rigging is showing rust stains in a few places, it is under a month old, is this right? Am i being paranoid maybe thinking the riggers have done a quick one on me?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 04:00   #2

Re: New rigging rust stains under a month?

Not the riggers, the wire manufacturer. It is probably chinese wire. We are going through a nightmare of replacing ALL of our new rigging because the supplier got bad wire. At least our supplier is honest and is giving us the replacement wire and fixtures. We are paying for the labor, which I thought wa sunfair, until I heard about another manufacturer who also got bad wire and told his customers tough luck. You want to sueu? Get in line.

Things we found out. It may be just one strand int he wire that is bad, hence the rust, but we weren't willing to risk it. And, until it fails, 304, which rusts, is stronger than 316. It was the until it fails part that made us decide to change out the rigging. We are hoping it won't delay our trip south. The wire rep told someone, not us, that it was "just cosmetic," but if that were true why would they be willing to replace everything? I don't believe have heard the whole story. But, the long and the short of it is, we got bad wire and they are replacing it.

The first test is to put a magnet up to the rusted wire and see if it grabs. If so, you're in trouble. Good luck.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 13:50   #3

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: New Rigging Rust Stains Under a Month !?

cheers ill check it with a magnet to see!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging