Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 14:51   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
New or Refurbish?

Hi all,
I have a 135% Genoa that I bought with the boat (Bavaria 38-2004) and assume it was new with the boat. It is a laminated sail by Elvstrom, sweden. After 11 years the UV strip is kaput, I can poke my fingers throught in places and have been sailing with quite a few pieces of sail tape holding things together. The thing is it is only the outer panels of the sail which are the heavier laminates that are wrecked. These panels are by far the heaviest material, the panels getting lighter as they progress towards the luff. The heavier laminates are stiff and appear to have cracked wherever there were wrinkles or shaking. However the lighter panels appear in perfect order. It seems the heavier panels are the ones that get most of the sun, and wear and tear.

Can the older heavier panels be unstitched and new panels replaced along with a new UV strip? I had a measure up for a new Genoa same size and they want about $5k (NZ) for a sail made of dacron(?), not a laminate. The original sail did 11 years, although has not been used heavily I was happy with how its shape still held fairly well despite the obvious damage. It seems a shame to discard it when the inner panels seem in such good condition still.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New or Refurbish?

No, the transition point between new and old cloth will be a disaster. It is the aft part of the sail that goes first. Unless under engineered sails always tear from back to front.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Refurb