Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-08-2017, 08:30   #1

New jib not furling evenly

My boat is slutter rigged, with the inner foresail being a self tacking jib. Iíve recently had a new sail made for the inner self tacker - Vectron with three (about 5' long) vertical battens.

On furling the new sail for the first time I had some (significant) problems with the furled batten sections of the sail protruding and jamming against the furled genoa (the other foresail). On closer inspection I could see that when furling, the bottom of the battens were reaching the already-furled section of the sail before the top, hence spiralling around the furled sail, causing that section to protrude.

The battens are parallel to the luff with the sail unfurled, so the sail appears not to be furling evenly i.e. it appears to be furling faster at the bottom than the top, which is not possible? Iíve removed the battens, for now, but the looseness of the furl towards the top is very obvious.

I appreciate that, due to the geometry of the sail, the tensions on the foot and leech are not even when furling, but the Ďfree-turní mechanism of the Furlex 200 furler being used (which is free and working) is I believe meant to overcome that, to a certain extent.

A thought I had was maybe I need to get more tension on the leech than the foot when furling, but the only way I can see that being achieved is by changing the sheeting angle, which I have very little control over with the self-tacking mechanism.

Any suggestions or pointers as to what might be going on here would be welcome and appreciated.

Incidentally, I lost the previous sail earlier this year in an F8 gusting F10 when the wind got behind the furled sail, about two thirds up, and unfurled the top. Maybe the problem has always existed and itís only because of the battens, and possible stiffness, of the new sail that itís been brought to my attention? But this thought may be a red-herring as the sail had never unfurled in high winds before, and I canít say that I ever noticed the old sail being loosely furled, and certainly not as loose as the new one appears to be.

Old 17-08-2017, 09:20   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: New jib not furling evenly

Try changing the position of your sheet leads, probably by moving them aft. Also, take some pics while furling it incrementally at the dock, ones which show the angle of the battens to the stay changing as the sail is furled. They may help diagnostically, & or in getting the sail's maker to sort out the problem.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Try changing the position of your sheet leads, probably by moving them aft. Also, take some pics while furling it incrementally at the dock, ones which show the angle of the battens to the stay changing as the sail is furled. They may help diagnostically, & or in getting the sail's maker to sort out the problem.
Thanks for the speedy response Uncivilized.

Unfortunately thereís not much I can do about changing the sheeting position - the single sheet runs from the sail to a block on a fixed arced track attached to the deck in front of the mast. The only options are choosing one of the four sheet attachment points on the clew plate, which seems to make no difference.

Weather permitting, Iíll take some pics tomorrow (itís evening and raining here at the moment) and get them posted, as youíve suggested.

Iíve had a conversation about this with the sailmaker, who seems as baffled as me and could only suggest things, off the top of his head, that Iíve already tried, but is willing to come to the boat and take a look if I canít get it resolved.
Old 17-08-2017, 11:46   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Assuming you don't demand to have the sail remade, given that it sounds like you ordered it custom made. You might inquire about adding a clew ring or two on the sail's leech, above the current plate. As well as one forward of & below it. With, of course, proper reinforcements in the clew for each ring, much like in the clew of a main & at it's reef points.

It'd actually be pretty easy to see what effect this would have. Simply temporarily attach D-rings to the sail in said locations, & see if they sort out the sheeting angle thing. But since they're but temporarily attached, obviously don't load the sail & sheet up much when playing with them.

The other thing is that you can monkey with the sheeting angle a bit by simply adding temporary vertical twings onto the sheet. Just clip a carabiner onto the sheet, & connect lines to the biner in a vertical orientation.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Assuming you don't demand to have the sail remade, given that it sounds like you ordered it custom made. You might inquire about adding a clew ring or two on the sail's leech, above the current plate. As well as one forward of & below it. With, of course, proper reinforcements in the clew for each ring, much like in the clew of a main & at it's reef points.

It'd actually be pretty easy to see what effect this would have. Simply temporarily attach D-rings to the sail in said locations, & see if they sort out the sheeting angle thing. But since they're but temporarily attached, obviously don't load the sail & sheet up much when playing with them.

The other thing is that you can monkey with the sheeting angle a bit by simply adding temporary vertical twings onto the sheet. Just clip a carabiner onto the sheet, & connect lines to the biner in a vertical orientation.

You make some good suggestions, thanks. I'll try them when playing with the sail again tomorrow, and report back.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The leach and the foot are not the same length, so a line drawn perpendicularly from the triangle base, in this case the luff, thru the tack, will not move on the same plane. The foot will roll up quicker. If the tack outhaul was on a boom- mounted sliding track you would not have this problem Geometry !
Old 17-08-2017, 13:03   #7

Boat: Able 50

The batten pockets are at the wrong angle so they will have to be realigned. For now anyway, I don't see any reason why the battens should be more than about 18" long. Maybe there is a missing factor but most furling jibs have no battens at all.

Time to get the sailmaker down to the boat.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
The leach and the foot are not the same length, so a line drawn perpendicularly from the triangle base, in this case the luff, thru the tack, will not move on the same plane. The foot will roll up quicker. If the tack outhaul was on a boom- mounted sliding track you would not have this problem Geometry !
Oops !, where I said tack, I meant clew !
Old 18-08-2017, 08:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
You make some good suggestions, thanks. I'll try them when playing with the sail again tomorrow, and report back.
Unfortunately, todays weather was not conducive to 'playing with the sail'...

Tags
furling, jib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: