Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 13:24   #1

Boat: Pearson 40
New Dyform Compact Wire Reviews

Hello, does anyone have any experience with the new compacted wire (maybe 8/10mm) that replaced Dyform recently? I think one maker is in Australia.

Is it as well made as the old Dyform wire, does it hold up well, etc??

Planning to replace our standing rigging soon and would like to get any feedback if possible...We are presently located in the US

Thanks...
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:37   #2

Re: New Dyform Compact Wire Reviews

I'll be watching this, how long has Dyform been out of business, I used that product years ago and really liked it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 14:40   #3

Boat: Able 50

Dyform was never a business. It was a wire product made by Navtec but they no longer sell it. The same or very similar stuff is now called Compacted Wire and is made by I don't know who. West Marine and plenty of riggers sell it. It was meant to be a mid level performance product in between regular 1x19 wire and rod. Here are the current specs but I don't know how they compare with Dyform.

Maybe the same ? ? ?

downloadse592.pdf
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 15:09   #4

Just looking up the specs and it seems the compact wire shares the same specs as the old Dyform wire, so basically the same product. If you were using a 9 mm 1x19 ss wire for rigging you could go down a size to 8 mm in Compact wire and still be stronger than the stock 1x19.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 15:21   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We have used Dyform wire for many years. One of the reasons was that there was only one well known and vetted manufacturer, so no worries about questionable wire sources.

On the last re-riggings we've done, the wire that I used was what was called "Compact Strand", and came from an unknown manufacturer. I wasn't able to track down its pedigree (didn't try all that hard to be honest). So far, I have found no discernible differences between the two types. The oldest bit is now around 6 years old, no discolouration, no broken strands, so it seems ok to casual inspection. Who knows what the future holds?

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 02:07   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

Dyform wire is a brand of Bridon Wire distributed, not made by Navtec amongst others. Compact strand is an own-brand/generic term.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14   #7

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
On the last re-riggings we've done, the wire that I used was what was called "Compact Strand", and came from an unknown manufacturer. I wasn't able to track down its pedigree (didn't try all that hard to be honest). So far, I have found no discernible differences between the two types. The oldest bit is now around 6 years old, no discolouration, no broken strands, so it seems ok to casual inspection. Who knows what the future holds?

Jim
Jim, are you by any chance using swageless terminals (eg. Sta-lok, Norseman or other) with your Compact Strand wire rope?

Just wondering whether any fittings are compatible.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Dyform wire is a brand of Bridon Wire distributed, not made by Navtec amongst others. Compact strand is an own-brand/generic term.
Navtec have not sold Dyform for years. Nobody sells Dyform in sizes for yachts, not even Bridon.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:21   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Navtec have not sold Dyform for years. Nobody sells Dyform in sizes for yachts, not even Bridon.
Well, then my wire supplier in Belgium could be order the wire in the moon, seriously i get spools of dyform and regular 316 ss up to 12 mm with no problems at all,, just saying...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:36   #10

Nobody in USA sells Dyform unless you want a new cable for your crane. all you have is stuff that is called Compacted Wire and looks like Dyform. Navtec sells neither.

I've never been to Belgium but I hear they have great beer.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:59   #11

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Plenty of sources in the UK. You buy cars from Japan, Junks from China and other stuff from other places.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:01   #12

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Hello, does anyone have any experience with the new compacted wire (maybe 8/10mm) that replaced Dyform recently? I think one maker is in Australia.

Is it as well made as the old Dyform wire, does it hold up well, etc??

Planning to replace our standing rigging soon and would like to get any feedback if possible...We are presently located in the US

Thanks...
Why is 1x19 not suitable? It's proven, commonly available and fitings are easy to source.

We are almost finished re rigging our Liberty 458 with 316 SS 1 x 19 and StaLoks. You can order StaLoks with Dyform cones and collars. I have no experience with compacted strand wire.

We used the new to us boat chandelery discount from Svendsens Marine back in 2012 to source all our staloks and wire.

Wire sourcing is always a challenge. I sourced our wire through Alps in California. I have the batch and lot info of the wire but it's still not ideal provenance. The wire is made in Korea.

I have samples, both original and new, that I have in a continuous and accelerated corrosion test. I'll be using this information and regular inspections to validate the rigging over time.

I do all my own rigging.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:11   #13

Quote: Why is 1x19 not suitable? It's proven, commonly available and fitings are easy to source.

Regular 1x19 is perfectly suitable and 316 has higher corrosion resistance than 304 although a bit less breaking/working load strength.
Compact wire like Dyform has a higher breaking strength than regular 1x19. For example, 8mm Dyform has roughly the same strength as 10 mm standard 1X19. Its like beefing up the rig without increasing wire diameter. From a cruising point of view the reduced air resistance is not too noticeable except the strength factor.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14   #14

Jim I think you are around Australia lately and you probably got the wire there? I think there is an Australian maker of compact wire...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25   #15

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Nobody in USA sells Dyform unless you want a new cable for your crane. all you have is stuff that is called Compacted Wire and looks like Dyform. Navtec sells neither.

I've never been to Belgium but I hear they have great beer.
No offense , but even Navtec Usa have the Dyform in the catalog and lots of rigging wire suppliers in the USA, may i ask where this rumor come from
????
https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j..._yYp4YmjCevCNA
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews