Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 18:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
New Bow Roller - what sealant?

I am putting on a new longer bow roller, and am not sure what to use to seal the stainless bow roller to the deck. Bedding compound or a silicone sealant/marine grade caulk?

FYI. The bow roller has a backing plate and the roller will install on top of my deck, with the stainless backing plate under the deck, essentially in the anchor locker. The bow roller is attached be 5 stainless nuts and bolts. This is on a Catalina 42 MKII

Thanks

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:01   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: New Bow Roller - what sealant?

I prefer to use a flexible sealant like butyl rubber in those applications. You can buy reasonably good quality butyl in a tube these days.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

You might want to view this video:

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:03   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Many folks will tell you to avoid silicon like the plague. It leeches into your fiberglass making future rebedding much more difficult. I'm a big fan of butyl tape, but it's pretty hard to use if the roller bends over the stem or you have bulwarks it has to snug up against. If there's no tight bends to contend with, thatd be my choice.

Boatlife polysulfide is great, but I'm not sure if they make a UV inhibiting version. The regular stuff will brown pretty quickly in sunlight.

Lot's of people swear by sikaflex, but I have no experience with it.

3M 4000 UV inhibited is good stuff, but it might be hard to get the thing off down the line.

..my god, the choices in life.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:04   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quick before someone says "5200"...argh!

With 5 thru bolts you don't need an adhesive, like 5200, you need a sealant. Butyl tape and/or 3Ms 4000UV would be fine choices.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:04   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes butyl would be #1 for me too. If you want a liquid sealant per se then it must be a polysulfate, i.e. lifecaulk from boatlife.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:04   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
I prefer to use a flexible sealant like butyl rubber in those applications. You can buy reasonably good quality butyl in a tube these days.
Ah, I'll have to try that sometime. Thx
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

LifeCaulk is my sealant of choice. It's chemical resistant, easy to clean up with Mineral Spirits, and remains flexible forever. Really haven't noticed any problems with UV damage as under a fitting there is no UV. Guess if you are going to run a bead along the edge of a fitting it could discolor but that is almost guaranteed to leak at some point in the near future.

Butyl is really good sealant for parts that have a lot of expansion like large ports and areas that need a gap filled. Butyl has issues though. First is it turns into an ugly slurry around any petroleum product that can permanently stain gel coat. Peel off the excess, don't try and clean it up with a solvent and don't use it where gasoline or other solvents may spill. It also continues to ooze out over time so you need to keep at peeling away the excess. It also takes a lot more time to apply than LifeCaulk. Can bed hardware a lot faster with other sealants than Butyl. Applying the tape, sticking it to the part and keeping it from from sticking to itself are niggly issues when installing hardware.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 09:03   #9

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Butyl tape!! I am a convert. Like a religious convert I'll proselytize you to death! But I've found that I can make it work pretty easily on curves, odd places, etc.

Here's a link to MaineSail's article on how to do it.

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Bill
Old 15-06-2015, 09:52   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I second butyl tape. Tenacious, seemingly everlasting, very forgiving, and easy to remove...
Old 15-06-2015, 11:30   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Each, of course, have their place, though I have had enough poor experiences with Life Caulk that they will never again be used on any of my boats.

I go back and forth regarding caulks. Current favorites include 3M 4000 UV and Sikaflex 291. Both are quite flexible with adequate working times, with the 3M product faster to fully cure. Either have sufficient bonding strength for the vast majority of uses on board.

3M 4200 is a little too tenacious for many applications, and 5200 will rip off the gel coat before letting go. Reserve the 5200 for keel-to-hull and deck-to-hull, the only applications IMO where it would be appropriate.

I have used butyl tape in the past but have found better products for most applications. At this point I am only using it to seal under screw and bolt heads. The drawbacks are listed in prior posts above. The one great advantage for butyl is the virtually unlimited shelf life. I am not aware of anything that approaches it (except perhaps Dolfinite). Still, it is not usually my "go to" product.

I have also found that I am happier when doing much more masking prior to application. For this I am usually marking (with pencil) the outlines of the component prior to removal (if existing), or after dry-fitting (if new). Tape is cheap compared to the cleanup of some of these sealants/adhesives.

Dow 795 Silicone is also aboard, as well as several quick-setting epoxies, several waterproof wood glues, Blue Monster thread sealant, methacrylate etc., etc.

You never know when you might need that small tube of Magic Super Whatchamacallit to patch a sail, a laceration or a water leak.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 11:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
Butyl tape!! I am a convert. Like a religious convert I'll proselytize you to death! But I've found that I can make it work pretty easily on curves, odd places, etc.

Here's a link to MaineSail's article on how to do it.

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Bill
Why use anything else? After 35 years of messing (literally) around with silicone, this is my go-to bedding material.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:00   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Any choice is fine....as long as you avoid silicone or 5200.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:19   #14

Marine sealant, not silicone based. (although there re some really good ones) Apply very liberally and fillet/remove what oozes out. Lifecaulk, 4000, 4200, 5200, Sika, UV stabilized better.
I like taping off the surround also, leaving some gap for a fillet of caulk.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 04:09   #15

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Folks

Thanks for the tips and the education. Ordered the bow roller last night, and expect to install some non-sailing day next month.

Let's hope they didn't use 5200 to bed the original down and I should be all set.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant