Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 08:52   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Need Rigger in Sarasota

Can anyone recommend a rigger in Sarasota?

My PSC 34 is in need of new standing/running and the gentleman lined up to do the work has landed himself in the hospital! He'll live but won't be working anytime soon.
kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 11:25   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Need Rigger in Sarasota

You might contact Brad Kadau of Paradise Yacht Services at 727-327-3334. Brad re-did our standing rigging a couple of years ago at a very good price and has handled a number of other jobs on the mast since. He does good work and is reliable. He does a fair amount of business with Snead Island Boat Works and several other local companies.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 15:32   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Need Rigger in Sarasota

Reached out to Knothead(Steve Smith) and he graciously agreed to help me out. If you need new rigging or lifelines and are anywhere close to the gulf coast, get yourself over to St. Petersburg and see him at SSMR Inc. He has a great partner, Andy, and a lovely wife, Jennifer, who will take care of everything.

What's it like to work with SSMR? I'm glad you asked.

First and foremost, they really enjoy having an owner involved. Since this was my first time replacing it was great to be able to ask unlimited questions, watch everything they were doing, and help where I could. They explained things along the way and had tremendous amounts of patience. In fact, they seemed to welcome pro/con discussions concerning their approach.

They're unbelievably punctual and efficient. I've had to micromanage every other project on this boat and finish many jobs on my own due to lack of follow through or poor time management from contractors and yards alike. Steve and crew were leading the charge here. Absolutely everything that could be done without the the boat in their yard was complete before I would arrive and if they said 9:00 they meant 9:00. It was very refreshing. It's also worth pointing out the timeline I presented them with was extremely tight but they ensured everything was ready for my trip. Outstanding.

I really like the way they present options. They start with the industry/vendor recommendation, follow with their advice, and then relate to what they do on their own boats(I think Andy currently owns 8). In the end I pushed them more for higher priced items or replacements then they pushed me. These guys definitely love what they do and are not interested in selling product. For instance, Steve was fairly persistent about servicing my existing furlers instead of replacing and pushed me hard to not waste money on new(although I didn't listen to him is was nice). You'll definitely save some bucks with this crew.

The quality and attention to detail was great. I learned a lot while watching and asking questions. Since leaving their shop I've inspected a lot of rigging and have seen very little work like theirs.

Finally, they're simply great people. Interesting stories, huge hearts, and great conversationalists.

Would I use them again? Of course not, they taught me everything they know! Definitely hope to cross paths with each of them again either out on the water or in their shop.
kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sarasota