Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-10-2011, 18:47   #1

Need a New Headsail

I'm new to sailing and just bought a Caliber 33 as my first boat. The boat will be located in the Chesapeake Bay where I plan on sharpening my sailing skills for the next 5 years. Before I took delivery of the boat, the headsail (150% genoa) got shredded during the storm that hit the NE last week. I'm looking for recommendations on sail manufacturers, types of material, expected cost, etc for a replacement. The Chesapeake has very light air in the summer. Thanks in advance for your input.
Dukeisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 18:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Need a new headsail

All round value for money, I'd recommend Dacron for your new headsail, especially if it is going to be used while you are improving your skills. Dacron will last the longest of just about all the available materials. It is also relatively cheap. Its weakness is that is stretches more than most of the other options... but in light airs that shouldn't be a problem. To find a manufacturer, to me, its all about the individual loft / sailmaker rather than a particular brand (Quantum / Doyle / UK-Halsey etc)... I'd take a wander around you local marina(s) and see what local loft's labels are on the sails on boats of your size / age and then go to that loft for a quote.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules