Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2015, 16:03   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
NAVTEC Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster HELP!

I have a manual (integral) Navtec Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster on my Bristol 35.5. I had it resealed/rebuilt about 4 years ago and now it is leaking and just quit pumping again. It cost a couple hundred or more last time, and a new one is $1300+. If this is going to be a regular thing, that is not going to work. Thinking about trying to reseal the thing myself. I know the official statement is to send it to them, but Toyota also says that about my truck oil changes. Anyone tried this? Anyone have a manual or a link to it? Thanks.

Old 21-02-2015, 16:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Re: NAVTEC Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster HELP!

I tossed mine some years ago after it leaked badly while in 40-knot winds about 100 miles north of Grenada.

They wanted upwards of $1,100 in Annapolis to repair it, and $13-1400 for a new one.

Removed it, tossed it, and never looked back.

No need for a backstay adjuster on most cruising boats (mine is 42' LOA).

Bill

Old 21-02-2015, 16:28   #3

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I have a manual (integral) Navtec Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster.... Anyone have a manual or a link to it? Thanks.
Do you know the exact type? Old square or newer round? Pin size, length, etc?
Old 21-02-2015, 18:30   #4

5/8 pin, square, cannot tell if it is the 12 or 17. Online info doesnot suggest much difference externally.
Old 21-02-2015, 19:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

The problem with hydraulics is that if it gets any water/moisture in the oil the metal walls of the cylinders start a corrosion film on the walls. If is not inspected or honed before the new seals are put in, a failure will occur in a short time. Micro pitting eats at the seals until they lose their surface. Then its down hill from there.

The seals are EZ to replace and can be had at most any shop that sells a variety o-rings and seals. I would pull it apart and check the cylinder walls (pump and cyl). If they are not shinny then I'd inspect closer. They can take a hone for a .002-.004" then the seal loses its grip. so if it's actually pitted enough to catch a fingernail, then it's toast.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 23:13   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I don't have any of my references handy, & not to be flippant, but since it's removable & hydraulics are hydraulics, you might have the Toyota guys (or similar) take a look at it. Once you locate the appropriate manual for it that is.

Which if they don't consider them "classified", here's a place to start NAVTEC.NET But odds are that any big rigging shop will have copies of them on hand as well, ditto on the seals & oil that the unit requires.

Another option is a mechanical adjuster, or given your boat's size, you could likely convert things so that you can use a multi-part purchase, adjustment system. Plus, it's pretty common to run across refurb'ed units, or racing boats swapping out gear etc.

On these price quotes (to get it fixed), I'd be curious to see the cost breakdown of such. As at most, I doubt that it's more than a couple hour job.

EDIT: Since it's still more or less Sailing's off season in the N. Hemisphere, you might catch a break on price via the various rigging sales going on @ a lot of the big rigging shops. Especially those that specialize in stuff for go faster type sailboats.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 04:06   #7

Boat: Oyster 66

They fail every 4 or 5 years in my case. If there is no heavy corrosion or nicks or other damage to break the seals then it's just a routine repair. If there is damage you may succeed at polishing it out with a fine file and levels of increasingly fine paper to paste.

I rebuilt a backstay and a ram unit over the last year. Pretty easy. Takes about 2 hrs as Uncivillized said.

If your unit has an air pre-charge, take great care to dischage it. Dangerous if you don't. I used a bicycle shock pump to re-charge. It had the same fitting.

Common sense should work fine, but you can use this info for help and drawings:
http://www.hide-et-oh.com/system/ass...pdf?1321964899.

You can get the seal kit all over the place, maybe $70. Navtec should give you the part no. A ring spanner is a useful tool if your cylinder has that type of cap. Facom make a good one for about $80, but Ebay has some cheapies for $10.
Old 22-02-2015, 06:30   #8
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Fortunately Florida Rigging and Hydraulics is right in our back yard (Ft Lauderdamndale)
Old 22-02-2015, 06:36   #9

Boat: Hylas 46

I am re-rigging my boat and my riggers opinion is: Unless you are racing, get rid of it, one less thing to maintain. The benefits are very marginal for a typical cruising boat. I am going to take his advice.
Old 22-02-2015, 06:44   #10
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
I am re-rigging my boat and my riggers opinion is: Unless you are racing, get rid of it, one less thing to maintain. The benefits are very marginal for a typical cruising boat. I am going to take his advice.
True-that for the original intent of the tensioner; the average cruiser will not see much of an advantage....... BUT they are priceless for de-tensioning the rig between sails!
Old 22-02-2015, 07:31   #11

Boat: Sailboat

Seal kit is $120 here:

Navtec A370-SK-017 | Fisheries Supply

With good sails, I do find the backstay adjuster makes a difference as soon as the wind is forward of the beam.
Old 23-02-2015, 07:04   #12

Thanks for all the help.

Confession time: I am a dumbass. I had to leave the boat in a rush the other day and just tried retensioning the backstay after having let it off completely. It worked a bit taking up all the loose slack but would not apply tension. I assumed it was shot. Went back yesterday and rechecked it. I had forgotten to close the relief valve. Closed the valve and Viola- fixed!
Old 18-04-2015, 14:10   #13

Made a sock for it. Goes over or around handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	100635  
Old 22-04-2015, 19:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Thanks for all the help.

Confession time: I am a dumbass. I had to leave the boat in a rush the other day and just tried retensioning the backstay after having let it off completely. It worked a bit taking up all the loose slack but would not apply tension. I assumed it was shot. Went back yesterday and rechecked it. I had forgotten to close the relief valve. Closed the valve and Viola- fixed!
Nice! If you have a problem again give Rigging Only a call. They can make a double turnbuckle set up using a Navtec rod that will be the same length as the tensioner.
Old 23-04-2015, 03:55   #15

I have already planned for possible failure and carry a 5/8" bronze TB and a pair of link plates the correct size.

Tags
backstay adjuster

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: