Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2013, 08:00   #1

Boat: Nautical Development, Offshore 40
Nautical Development Offshore 40

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Nautical Development Offshore 40 built in 1984. Not many of these boats were built and the company is no longer in business I hear.

As part of the improvements that showed up on the survey I had all the standing rigging replaced and upgraded. Part of this process was removal and inspection of the in mast furling system which is a Schaefer 1000. After the rigging company replaced it in the mast when I try to deploy the main the furling tube tends to bend out of the mast housing at about mid way up the mast and binds preventing a clean deployment of the sail. I suspect that the furling rig does not have enough tension on it.

I spoke to a rep from Schaefer on the phone about the problem and to ask about how much torque it should have but the rep told me it was not designed as an in mast system originally but a couple of companies (Cabo Rico and Nautical Development) used it as an in mast system. She didn't have any tech specs so wasn't able to answer my question.

Does anyone know how much torque I can tension the system to. It has one main nut clamping the rig to the mast at the base. Obviously I don't want to over torque it and damage the bearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cloudman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23   #2

Hi paul, welcome aboard. My Nautical Development does not have in mast furling so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say hi to a fellow ND owner.

DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:50   #3

Re: Nautical Development Offshore 40

Hey Paul, I just came by your post. I too have a nautical dev. Offshore 40.
And have experienced the same in mast furling problem. We will be in coconut grove in a week or so. Hope to compare boats. I tried tightening the furling rod with no improvement. Just purchased a new main sail. We will be picking it up while in the Miami area. We are now in Brunswick Ga waiting for an offshore weather window to proceed to south Florida.
Greg and Janice
S/V Glenice Sue
J may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Not to state the obvious, but have you considered a) switching to a more robust in-mast furler or b) "retconning" to a standard mast track?

I understand the appeal; some friends have a robust Hood in-mast furler on a Bristol 45.5, and in exchange for some shortcomings in sail shape, you get a very rapid way to depower the sail plan if you see a squall coming. That said, there's many ways to douse a main in a hurry and to put in a reef once the new wind conditions are known, and to do it all from the mast with granny bars and attachment points, or, with consideration for friction, to do it mostly from the cockpit.
Can't sleep? Read for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 14:51   #5

Boat: Nautical Development Offshore 40'

We just bought our Nuatical development offshore 40 this past spring. Not many of these old gals around! Any advice? Are you still sailing? Any tidbits would help...

1sailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37   #6

Boat: Nautical Development, Offshore 40

Hi Karen,

Yes we still have our Nautical Development Offshore 40. As I mentioned in the start of this thread we have ongoing issues with the main mast furling. You have to have the boat dead into the wind if you want to furl the main. We have found that if one person stands by the mast and the other is working the furling line in the cockpit the one at the mast can "help" the first turn of the furling rig into the mast. Our problem comes from the snap shackle that is attached to the base of the sail binding on the side of the mast housing when you start to furl the main. If there is any side loads on the main when you attempt to furl you will not be able to do it.

In some ways I wish we had a conventional main sail furling arrangement with a stack pack but oh well you have to make things work don't you.

On the plus side we love out bimini and dodger. It gives loads of shade and we will need it when we go full time sailing next year.

We are in the miami area where is you boat located. PM me if you want any further questions answered. Overall we think it will be a strong cruising boat. Its not built for speed but it will get you there safely and in relative comfort.

cloudman42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: