Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 21:58   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Mystery handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I agree with Zee the handles on the left are locking winch handles and worth many $pondooliks to try and replace. The other one is definitely a single purpose tool that you could never replace, put it where you wont forget it because when that purpose becomes apparent nothing else will do the job. With good luck you'll never find out what it's for.
But does this mean I can use the locking handles on the star drive winches? I guess I can go down to the boat tonight to find out...

And yes, good advice about keeping the other handle. But I might take a gamble and put it downstairs with the other tools.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 22:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ive left old stuff I collected over the years, on every boat Ive owned !! Most of ir would never work on the boat they were on, but I thought they were neet and just collected them ! Ive had calls from the new owners of the boats I sold, wanting to know what it was or where I used some of this stuff!! I always felt sorta bad cus most of the time I had forgotten this stuff was still aboard ! LOL maybe these Items are of that sort of stuff ?? Could be !! Just a thought

Yes... well... it's starting to feel a bit that way.
Old 27-05-2013, 08:59   #48

Boat: Irwin sloop

The tool on the right looks like it could be a variation of the one used to remove and replace the retaining nut atop a winch drum. Next time you go aboard see if it fits. It's a good looking, well designed tool.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 09:28   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hello Cruisers,

Just inside the door from the cockpit, we have a pair of drawers, nicely setup with internal brackets for each of the winch handles, a rubber mallet and three "mystery handles".

We've had the boat for nearly 6 months now, and I have not been able to work out the function of these handles despite carrying each around the boat and trying to find somewhere they will fit. There are a matching pair with the square drives and another, very odd handle with a hollow socket and two pins.

Hopefully I have attached pictures of each, if anyone could shed some light on their function, I would be grateful.

Matt

The top one looks like a centerboard crank to me. If this boat doesn't have a centerboard, maybe it was left there from a previous boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 04:13   #50

Hello all,

Well, I ate humble-pie and called on the guy who set it up. (As per the suggestion by boatman61 right at the start.)

In short, I should have listened to the CF posters, as the correct answers were there all along.

Starting with the square shaft handles, these fit the mast mounted Cleveco halyard winches, I just did not realise (and stupidly did not try) that a square shaft handle would fit in a star-drive pattern winch. Apparently they can also be used with the jib sheet winches in the cockpit. So full points to roverhi, zeehag and Jesse. Thank you all.

The odd ball round tube handle is for the anchor winch, I just did not realise that you can easily take the top of the winch off to fit the handle, so full points to Dennis G.

Thank all again for your time, the lessons in common sense and the funny comments. Always a joy.

Matt
Old 30-05-2013, 13:45   #51

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Great that you held onto them and asked before leaving them on the "free" table.