Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 07:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
My 'Maintenance-Free' Facnor Headsail Furling Unit Needs Maintenance

I have a Facnor LS 200 which is very stiff to furl/unfurl and there's no service manual (it simply states in the installation manual to wash it down regularly but otherwise the unit is maintenance free).

I brought the genoa down to look at it the other day and I found 3 possible bearings; one for the halyard swivel, another atop the foil and then the drum itself, all bearings are sealed tight though.

Does anyone have experience in freeing up their furling unit? My first guess would be to isolate the three bearings to find which is causing the problem but I'm not sure how to do that either, any ideas?
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: My "maintenance free" Facnor headsail furling unit needs maintenance

Did you do the POST-INSTALLATION CHECK LIST, page 30 & 31
http://www.facnor.com/uk/technical_s...uk2010_web.pdf

You might ask a Distributer for advice
FACNOR distributors localization

Or ask Facnor:
Phone : +33 (0)2 33 88 50 22
Fax : +33 (0)2 33 23 14 27
E-mail: info@facnor.com
Contact form - Facnor - Furler system, gennaker & code 0 furlers, facslide

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Re: My "maintenance free" Facnor headsail furling unit needs maintenance

Thanks GordMay,

Yes I've had a look over the checklist, everything looks fine there. I suspect that one of the bearings is the problem. Maybe some water has got in somewhere? The unit is only 2.5 years old.

I was hoping to service myself so I haven't contacted Facnor yet.
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29   #4

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: My 'Maintenance-Free' Facnor Headsail Furling Unit Needs Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Walker View Post
I have a Facnor LS 200 which is very stiff to furl/unfurl and there's no service manual (it simply states in the installation manual to wash it down regularly but otherwise the unit is maintenance free).

I brought the genoa down to look at it the other day and I found 3 possible bearings; one for the halyard swivel, another atop the foil and then the drum itself, all bearings are sealed tight though.

Does anyone have experience in freeing up their furling unit? My first guess would be to isolate the three bearings to find which is causing the problem but I'm not sure how to do that either, any ideas?
Hello Hugh, I have just found the same problem on my Facnor LS200 whilst sailing yesterdy, just overnighting at Docklands Melbourne hoping to be sailing south today in a strong northely so I am in trouble I will drop the jib today to investigate but after reading your post I'm now worried, my furler is about the same age. Would appreciate to know how you resolved the problem, I am stuck right now 7.30 am 4 January 2013 hope you get to read and advise how you resolved the problem. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:01   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Peterp,

Probably not what you want to hear, but we've had difficulties with our smaller Facnor and not had any luck with support from Facnor. Their response is that the units are not serviceable and I should buy a new one! (Not bloody likely!!)

My problem was not seizing, but a big grease leakage from the bearings in the drum. It uses simple lip seals and has no means of introducing new lubricant. The rigger that I had asked to repair the unit (when I could not find out how to get it apart) got it partly disassembled, only to find that it needed to be pressed apart. No worries except that all the shoulders that one would use to press upon were chamfered so that nothing would get a purchase on them. He gave up in disgust.

I had previously had to replace the upper swivel when the original self destructed. Facnor had redesigned that unit and made it considerably larger and stronger during the two years since purchase. When I suggested that the original was clearly not adequate for the job and that they might well replace it at no (or much reduced) cost I was laughed at.

I doubt that I will ever buy one of their products again.

Good luck with yours...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-02-2015, 16:53   #6

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem, my 4yo Facnor LS200 has become gradually stiffer.
I can still furl it, but with much more effort and I fear that it can become troublesome if I need to furl it in strong winds.

Any suggestions on how to service it?
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:06   #7

Hi all,

Facnor do not have a very good reputation in the Australian market, this may be different in other parts of the world. Firstly they only offer a three year warranty and the problems they have had for many years is the bearings. They are simply not good enough. Wichard has now acquired the company and from about a year ago they have been using the profurl bearings so moving forward they should be a lot better.

Don't bother trying to replace or service the unit unless you are mechanically minded and can do the work yourself, contact your local Rigger or service person and get them to negotiate with the distributor a replacement drum at somewhere near cost price. It has been my experience lately that they are trying to look after their customers to repair their brand.

Roland

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tempo Spars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:16   #8

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Thank you Roland,
sounds like good advice.

Do you know anyone in the NZ North Island capable to do the job?
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 18:37   #9

Hi spiv,

I have had dealings with ctech and nz rigging, however I am not sure the exact location of their businesses and whether or not they offer this type of service.

I have also heard good things about kiwi rigging. Failing that ask a few boat owners down at the nearest marina.

Roland

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tempo Spars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:05   #10

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Walker View Post

Well i have bad news for you, if with fresh wáter you dont get better results the internal clips inside of the bottom drum are toasted, take the sail out and try to rotate by hand the drum, if is stiff and hard to turn the clips are the culprit... the clips are mild Steel and QC is not really good with Facnor, so of 1000 clips a bunch are defective, result?? salt wáter enviroment, clips corroded and the bits messing with the torlon balls inside of the bearings races, i change so far this season 2 LS200 with this problem, both in warranty... is posible to dismantle the drum but is a pain in the ass and you end breaking the teflón bearing spacers to reach the clips , also the teflón spacers get lot of wear by the torlon balls, genuine lack of good design by Facnor. Just let me know and i can post pictures here from the LS200 i have dismantled in the shop... so you can figúrate the job,,, by the way sometimes is cheaper to install a new bottom drum...

Cheers..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem, my 4yo Facnor LS200 has become gradually stiffer.
I can still furl it, but with much more effort and I fear that it can become troublesome if I need to furl it in strong winds.

Any suggestions on how to service it?
Hello Spiv, I had the same problem as described above on a older post, all I had to do to fix the binding was to drop the screecher and pour several buckets of fresh water over the top of the furler revolving it as I poured, it slowly freed up completely, been good as gold ever since. The advice I have is that salt builds up over time over the top and ultimately freezes up.
Hope this simple fix solves your problem.
Regards Peter
Old 27-04-2015, 18:14   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Same deal here with our furler. Where do you pour the water? Do you have to drop the jib to do it?
Thankya

"I think multihulls require less IQ to sail than a monohull" - Duckwheat
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 19:01   #13

Hello Monte, yes drop the jib, and pour the water on the top of the furler turning it at the same time, you should find it gradually frees up, that's what I found, it has been completley free eversince. Hope it works for you.
Regards Peter
Old 27-04-2015, 19:21   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Peter, I cant see how dropping the jib helps. It just seems to be in the furlers track. Do you mean go up the mast and pour from the top of the furler foil, or just into the furling drum at the base? Or the fitting thats atatched to the head of the sail?
Thanks again
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 22:13   #15

Monte, my problem was not in the track it was in the small furler that the top of the jib turns on, over time it slowly builds a salt encrustation causing it to bind. So if you drop the jib you will look down on the small furler it is then easy to simply pour plenty of fresh water over it. I have attached a picture to clarify. Of course you may have different problem but I don't think so. Hope this helps.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jib jam.jpg
Views:	2161
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	101076  

Tags
furling, maintenance