Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 07:02   #1

Boat: Freydis 49
Angry Musical Boom

Just started to sail my new boat and the Boom often makes a high pitched squeeking noise due mainly to the reefing lines that are tied around the boom rubbing under high load.

The boom is very light weight, built in 1.5mm aluminium and it is acting like a drum. I have tried placing leather, anti chafe tape etc under the lines but nothing has worked so far. I am thinking I will have to get some aluminium doubler plates welded where the lines pass around to quieten it, does anyone know if this will work or have a better suggestion?

Thanks Niven
Old 29-10-2016, 07:44   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Musical Boom

If it is the reeling lines as you imply, loosen them. If it's the gooseneck, lube it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:47   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Or is the sound actually coming from within the lines (internal friction)? Very common.

Wash the lines with either fabric softener (cheap) or waterproofing treatment (better). This restores the internal lubrication (spinning lubes) that wash out overtime.
Old 29-10-2016, 11:12   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Or is the sound actually coming from within the lines (internal friction)? Very common.

Wash the lines with either fabric softener (cheap) or waterproofing treatment (better). This restores the internal lubrication (spinning lubes) that wash out overtime.
Ugh, I avoid using fabric softeners when washing lines like the plague. You wind up literally washing the life out of them, sometimes in only a wash or two. Otherwise, there are a number of other rules to the best techniques for line washing, including to do so as little as you can, so that they die from chafe & UV, not cleaning (washing).

Also, I'd skip welding on the boom as mentioned, since welding generally reduces aluminum's strength by about 50%.

You might try adding leather sleeves to lines that you think are squeeking where they wrap the boom. Or by adding line cover type chafe sleeves, etc. But tight lines squeek less than do ones that are only snug.

And using Spectra pendants where the lines wrap around the boom is likely the wisest idea, as they're easy to replace when chafe takes it's toll on them. Instead of replacing the whole reefing line, for which I favor Spectra anyway. And since Spectra is so slippery, it shouldn't make nearly so much noise as say Dacron. Though you might also paint it with Maxi Jacket II, or RP25 so as to make it slipperier, & more chafe resistant.
It's somewhat similar in composition to the coatings which are on the lines when new. And you can read about such coatings on the cordage manufacturer's websites.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 17:45   #5

Yes its definately where the lines are tied around the Boom, Reefing lines and Main Block lines. I have tried easing them but they rub even more, I have washed them, covering them with Leather didnt work, When I stuck on good antichafe tape the high forces soon peeled it off.
I think I may have to try welding on attachments for these lines instead of wrapping them around. I the Boom fails due to Welding I will get my carbon Fiber Boom sooner than planned.
Old 29-10-2016, 18:30   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are like 101+ ways to attach lines or blocks to a boom sans welding. For example another take on the pendant idea is to make it long enough so that it circles the boom 3-5x prior to connecting to the reefing line proper. So that there's very little load on any one loop or leg there of.

Even with a crew of pro's onboard, it sucks to break a boom. Chinese jibes in 40kts are much, much safer (& cheaper). Picture a 15', 200lb spiked club being swung by a diety.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 23:13   #7

Thanks for the sound advise, will not weld but I think i will try and have an Aluminium bracket fabricated to clamp around the Boom with some 5200 between to dampen the Acoustics.
Looking forward to some quiet sailing....hopefully

Tags
cal, music