Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 08:24   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Mounting A Whisker Pole

Despite being 20+ years old, our boat has never had a whisker pole. We are getting one now and are planning to mount it on a track on the mast. I have heard that in high winds you would rather have the pole mounted on deck, so I was considering brackets on deck in addition to the mast mount.

Since the deck brackets will only occasionally be used, and would be in the way - something else to step on - I am wondering if we could just lash the pole to the deck when winds and weather are a problem. Will that work

Interested in knowing what others do...

PT
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I sometimes carry two poles, so in addition to the mast-storage option, I have deck-mounted chocks for the second pole:

These are from Forespar. I have the upper version, without the wire guards.

There are also stanchion-mounted holders:

These are also from Forespar. C.S. Johnson makes similar hangers.

I decided against the stanchion-mounts, as I was afraid of getting the sheets tangled on them. I do see then used on other boats, so perhaps this isn't a big problem.

The deck-mounted chocks are indeed toe-stubbers, and the stowed pole does take up a lot of the side-deck. When I'm only carrying one pole I keep it on the mast. It would take a lot of wind before I felt I needed to drop the mast-mounted pole, and I would probably have already bagged my roller-furling headsails by that point. I occasionally sail in 40-kt winds, and the current arrangement is has been fine so far. Of course, VALIS is a big, heavy, boat.

There's no reason you couldn't lash your pole on-deck, but it's not going to be particularly convenient.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:40   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
I just have mine clipped to the stantions,in the ay but never caught jib sheet.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:19   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
. I have heard that in high winds you would rather have the pole mounted on deck,
PT
Hi PT,

I wonder why that would be?

Mine is mounted on the mast. I have raced boats for years and they take up valuable deck space on a cruising boat. I much prefer mine on the mast. I can't see how the wind could rip it off the mast.... unless the whole mast goes too!

Just run your track uop the mast far enough so you can haul the mast end of your pole up and then clip the sheet end to a U bolt pop riveted at the bast of the mast
simple, cheap

I made my own whisker pole... fittings at the chandler, 60mm pole from the alaminum supplu shop, anodising for a case of beer at lunch time

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 11:12   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico
Thanks folks....

Paul, Great pictures and explanation. I had reached the same conclusion re stanchion mounts.. I would think sheets would get caught at some point.

Mark, I have just heard people say that you might not want to store it on the mast in storms, that it should be on deck. I guess I'll do the mast mount and see how it feels and sounds when the wind pipes. Those things are really big and to be on deck it is a pain.

I also wish I could afford Carbon Fiber pole...Man, there's a big difference in weight, but I can't afford double the cost.

(Separate topic: Mark...love your blog. Are continuing your journey. Sorry to hear that Nicolle has gone home, but I guess that's how life works. Your blog is great though. Well done and looks like a lot of fun.)
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 11:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
You could lash the pole to the life lines or whatever when the pole is not on the mast. It might be a bit of a challenge to do that in the conditions you would do it, however. I've got two poles, an extendable whisker pole and a fixed length spinnaker pole. The track on the mast is only long enough to mount the whisker pole on the mast. The deck chocks for that haven't been an issue with foot stubbing. Don't know why as I've managed to stub my toe on everything else sticking out on the deck. Maybe it's because they are mounted as far outboard, close to the toe rail as I could mount them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 11:23   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I guess I'll do the mast mount and see how it feels and sounds when the wind pipes...... Are continuing your journey.
if it rattles just change the tension of one of the lines still attached... topping lift or pole car etc. Or a little bit of rag somewhere

yes, absolutly continuing my journey. Going accross the Atlantic in about a month. Just stocking up on chocolate at the moment

Old 22-10-2010, 11:56   #8

Boat: San Juan 28
I have chocks mounted behind my starboard settee to store my whisker pole when I'm not using it. It's never in the way and only takes 30 seconds to bring up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whisker.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	20422  
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 12:48   #9

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
As to the original Q.

My current, but sold, boat has dual spinnaker poles going up the mast on separate tracks and the sheet ends on U-bolts through deck.

Never experienced any problem when the wind picks up, but never been out there in much more than 50 knots either....

Would I do it again on the next boat? -Absolutely! Beautiful to jybe the chute without the hassle of moving the pole around balancing on foredeck with both hands needed to handle the pole. That- me don't like at all!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35   #10

Boat: Steel cutter 46 feet ISOLA BIANCA II
Send a message via Skype™ to agennai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi PT,
I made my own whisker pole... fittings at the chandler, 60mm pole from the alaminum supplu shop, anodising for a case of beer at lunch time
I'd like to do the same think but i need some suggestions:
1.must the lenght pole as LP or FOOT of the jib (i have a 105% one)?
2.did you buy The terminal ends of your whisker and the must truck to forespar or you use somethngs else?
3. May be i need a 700cm pole....which diameter and thickness do you suggest?
Thanks and fair winds
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The Forespar stanchion chocks worked fine for me. They kept the pole completely out of the way of on-deck activities and never molested the jib sheets. I mounted them as low as possible, just above the stanchion blocks leading the roller furling and spinnaker tack lines aft.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:29   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agennai View Post
I'd like to do the same think but i need some suggestions:
1.must the lenght pole as LP or FOOT of the jib (i have a 105% one)?
2.did you buy The terminal ends of your whisker and the must truck to forespar or you use somethngs else?
3. May be i need a 700cm pole....which diameter and thickness do you suggest?
Thanks and fair winds
Mine is 60mm diameter.
There was already a track on the mast.
I didn't cut the pole till it was on board and I could test it. The 'book' says it should be the J measurement however thats more for symetric kites. A genoa can be larger. Mine is about J plus 600mm.
I cut it about 3 times. The fittings I just put in with sealent and they are connected just by the trigger line to each gooseneck
That made re cutting easier too

60mm diameter flexes a bit, but its been fine.
If it flexes too much its probably a good time to furl a fair bit of it