Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 16:23   #1

Boat: Kurt Hughes 36 daychrter cat
Mounting A Used Barient 18

Hey guys, I have a pair of used barient 18's, I got a good deal on.

I have a home-built Kurt Hughes 36, and am still fiddling with running rigging etc. The plans suggested a self tending setup for the jib, but I just did it the old fashioned way with two sheets, run to each side down the sheer line, to keep them out of everybody's way in the cockpit. It works OK, but, till now i just have them run back to a jam cleat with no purchase or anything. When it is blowing even a little bit, you can't sheet them in hard enough without heading up first. OK, I thought about terminating the sheets at a block mid way aft, and then reeving another line through that to give some purchase, but am not sure how that will work out, since I haven't measured it up yet.

The other thing is these barients. They aren't self tailing, so I still need a cleat I think the sheets will fit OK, I think they are 7/16.

Anybody have any advice?
Should I revisit the whole self tending thing?

Oh, and the main reason I posted: How do you get the ring off to take the winch apart?? I don't want to spring anything.

Thanks!
Charly
charlystsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 16:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: mounting a used barient 18

You'll need to remove the Allen screw inside the socket. When you try to do this your drum may spin. The solution is to drill a home through an old winch handle. You then fit the Allen wrench through the hole, using the winch handle to keep the drum from turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 17:18   #3

Re: mounting a used barient 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You'll need to remove the Allen screw inside the socket. When you try to do this your drum may spin. The solution is to drill a home through an old winch handle. You then fit the Allen wrench through the hole, using the winch handle to keep the drum from turning.

don't see an allen screw anywhere. Mine has a ring of some sort- like a piston ring- but not the kind you can use ring pliers on.

I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01121.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	129860  
Old 20-08-2016, 18:14   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Mounting A Used Barient 18

That little guy is just a spirol ring. There is a small notch at the end. Put a small screwdriver in the notch, gently pry the end of the ring out and up, then unwind from the groove on the top of the winch.

After the ring is off, just lift the drum. The pawls should stay put, the bearings may or may not come up with the drum. Just be aware that they may fall if they come off with the drum.

I should also mention that the stainless ring isn't attached to the drum either, and if you're not careful it can jump overboard.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 15:13   #5

Boat: Sampson, seashell, 36'
Re: Mounting A Used Barient 18

Before you do anything search "barient winch" on the internet, you should find some info on cleaning, mounting and R&R. It pays to know where you're going. When you clean them you will need a tray and some gas or grease remover, use a brush to get all the old grease off and when greasing don't overload it with grease, just a thin coat will do. the pauls only need a few drops of oil. be very careful not to lose the springs, it's easy to do. You should be happy with these winches, Barient winches are the best and will hardly ever wear out. Just put a small cam cleat near the winch so that you can just drop the tail into it to keep the sheet in place.

Lew S/V Allusion
elbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 15:32   #6

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

sheet winches are a good idea / you will work out where to put cleats after a while / some winches are port and starboard so you turn the winch handle towards the boat and tail the sheet inboard / for some reason the old hands say it's safer / I bought some second hand misner halyard winches from a been converted to cruising racing boat, they all turn the same way / so my port and starboard now sheet winches both turn the same way which gets confusing under pressure when tacking / a trick with head sails is a small block on the sail fix one end of your sheet rope, take the sheet rope through the block on the clew and back to your cleat, halves the load /
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 15:33   #7

Boat: Sampson, seashell, 36'

I've been sailing [I]Allusion[I] with standard winches for 26 years and have used self-tailers on other boats. If your made of money self-tailers are the way to go but I don't think you will ever get your money's worth replacing your Barent 18s. If you decide to replace the Barent's I may be interested in purchasing them; not for myself.

Lew S/V Allusion
elbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 00:49   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
some winches are port and starboard so you turn the winch handle towards the boat and tail the sheet inboard / for some reason the old hands say it's safer / I bought some second hand misner halyard winches from a been converted to cruising racing boat, they all turn the same way / so my port and starboard now sheet winches both turn the same way which gets confusing under pressure when tacking / a trick with head sails is a small block on the sail fix one end of your sheet rope, take the sheet rope through the block on the clew and back to your cleat, halves the load /
Outside of things like the America's Cup, & other super high end racing boats, opposing directional winches like this are exceedingly rare, since probably before the 70's. Meaning that almost without exception, any modern winch will pull on line in it's highest gear, in the clockwise direction.

As to servicing winches, especially Barients, here are some resources for both winch schematics, & basic service guides. Plus heaps of other useful articles & tips.
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
L-36.com
There's also a VERY recent thread going on about winch servicing, here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cy-171193.html
And there are plenty of tech tips, & how to's for various types of system setups here Harken Plus, of course, plenty of primo hardware... Including some cam cleats for the OP to use with those winches.

Also, on the difficulties trimming your jib with those Barient 18's. Odds are they're just too small for the job. I can't say for certain, as I don't know definitively how big the jib is. But if it's close to the one on Kurt's other 36' cat, then they're under powered. And yes, you could mitigate this by adding a low friction ring, or block to the jib's clew. But it wouldn't be fun to get smacked by such a block. So... a plan b may be required. And there are plenty of guides available to aid one in choosing the correct size winches, including at the Harken website, above.

PS: If needed, you can get Barient parts at www.Arco-winches.com in Australia

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 03:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
O

Also, on the difficulties trimming your jib with those Barient 18's. Odds are they're just too small for the job. I can't say for certain, as I don't know definitively how big the jib is. But if it's close to the one on Kurt's other 36' cat, then they're under powered. And yes, you could mitigate this by adding a low friction ring, or block to the jib's clew. But it wouldn't be fun to get smacked by such a block. So... a plan b may be required. And there are plenty of guides available to aid one in choosing the correct size winches, including at the Harken website, above.

PS: If needed, you can get Barient parts at www.Arco-winches.com in Australia
Thanks UC, good to see you are still around.

I've been wondering about the power issue too- the blade is only about 120 sf though, and that is all i have in sail inventory for now. Instead of a block at the clew, i as thinking to put one about halfway down the sheet, which might cause a problem flopping around on the deck... at least it would be out of harms way here. At any rate anything would be an improvement over the current arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36chcatSAIL.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	129935  
Old 22-08-2016, 04:24   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Yep, happy to help. And I forgot to mention this before. But some of the winch sizing issue on cat's, is that since they don't heel, the sheet loads are higher per sqft/sqm of sail area. Which isn't always factored into the formulas found in the various charts/graphs that suggest winch sizes. So it can't hurt to ask a few people in the know, to assist you when picking winches out.

For example, the staysail on my 31' Searunner was tiny, & wasn't designed to be led to a winch. But if it was blowing much over 15kts, it was a challenge to trim it by hand at times, if I had a primary headsail up, & was using the cockpit winches to trim it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient